Deputy mayor banned in drink driving case
ROYSTON S deputy mayor Councillor Chris Barton has been banned from driving after a drink-drive offence. Cllr Barton is also currently chairman of Royston Town Council s highways and general purposes committee: a committee which at times discusses road sa
ROYSTON'S deputy mayor Councillor Chris Barton has been banned from driving after a drink-drive offence.
Cllr Barton is also currently chairman of Royston Town Council's highways and general purposes committee: a committee which at times discusses road safety issues.
Conservative councillor Chris Barton, 60, of Siskin Close, admitted a charge of drink driving when he appeared at Stevenage Magistrates' Court last Thursday.
He has been disqualified from driving for 18 months and fined £180.
You may also want to watch:
He was also ordered to pay £87 costs and has been offered a HAPAS course - a drink drive alcohol awareness course.
He was charged with drink-driving after being stopped by police in the evening of January 17 in Melbourn Street, Royston. A breath test revealed 61mg of alcohol in 100ml of breath - twice the legal limit.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 5 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 6 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 7 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 8 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 9 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
When the Crow went to press yesterday (Wednesday), it was unable to contact Cllr Barton.
Cllr Barton was re-elected to the town council last May after representing the Heath ward for the previous four years.
During that four year spell on the town council he was a member of the highways committee.
In his election address in May, Cllr Barton said: "My main concern is improving road safety throughout Royston."
Cllr Barton was due to become Mayor of Royston in May.