Dentist says cycle paths at A10 and A505 Royston junction are ‘almost unusable”
- Credit: Archant
A dentist says unsafe cycling conditions are making it almost impossible for him to leave his car at home and bike to work.
Paul Sanders, who works at the Melbourn Dental Practice, says he would like to cycle to work from his home in Royston, but the road conditions, particularly at the junction of the A10 and A505 just outside Royston, are a significant barrier.
The A10 Corridor Cycle Campaign is currently lobbying for a safe crossing of the A505 to be put in place for cyclists.
Mr Sanders said: “I have found the existing cycle path from the A505/A10 roundabout to Melbourn to be almost unusable and I personally would greatly appreciate its modernisation. Cycling in Royston has benefited from some cycle paths, but the major stumbling block is crossing the four busy lanes of the A505.”
Melbourn county councillor Susan van de Ven, chairman of the A10 Corridor Cycling Campaign, said, “This is a great example of what the 2011 census data is telling us – that a significant number of people already cycle to work along this short but dangerous stretch, and that many more would do so if conditions were safe.”
You may also want to watch:
Matt Scales from the Royston branch of the A10 Corridor Cycle Campaign, said: “We have made clear inroads into the development of the cycle way adjacent to the main road. Improvements which are being noticed and appreciated by local residents and frequent users of this corridor. “For people living in or trying to access Royston, these improvements only seem to be highlighting the ongoing hazard of crossing the A505 at the A10 junction.
“What we really need to happen as residents of Hertfordshire, is our council coming forward to take the lead in implementing a plan to make crossing the fast and dangerous A505 a simple and safe exercise.”
- 1 Drug dealer caught after being pulled over for using phone on A505
- 2 No Cambridge fireworks display on Midsummer Common this year for Bonfire Night
- 3 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 4 MPs vote on whether raw sewage should continue to be pumped into waterways
- 5 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 6 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 7 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 8 25-year-old admits Royston drug dealing
- 9 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 10 Cambridge Film Festival returns for its 40th outing
As reported in the Crow, officers from Cambridge and Hertfordshire County Councils have met to discuss possible solutions to crossing the A505.
For more information on the campaign, visit www.a10corridorcycle.com