Decision on proposed Royston Costa Coffee shop deferred
A DECISION on plans to build a new coffee shop in Royston has been deferred. Members of North Herts District Council s planning committee had been expected to consider whether to allow Costa Coffee to open a new store in Royston at their meeting today (Th
A DECISION on plans to build a new coffee shop in Royston has been deferred.
Members of North Herts District Council's planning committee had been expected to consider whether to allow Costa Coffee to open a new store in Royston at their meeting today (Thursday).
However, the scheme is now set to be discussed at their meeting on September 10.
During consultation, seven objections were received to the plan, which would see a Costa Coffee outlet open in old toy shop building on Royston High Street.
You may also want to watch:
Owners of Royston's existing coffee shops said that the High Street needs a variety of shops.
Yujel Mehmed, of Mello in Angel Pavement, said: "There are only so many customers out there. Royston is a small place and we need other shops too."
- 1 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
- 4 'Outstanding' Royston police officer wins Chief Constable's award
- 5 College chapel goes green to raise awareness of rare condition
- 6 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 7 Cambridge Film Festival returns for its 40th outing
- 8 Dial M for an interesting look at the macabre
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 10 Award-winning jazz singer Clare Teal and her sextet to play concert at Cambridge Arts Theatre
The district council has also received five letters of support for the plan, which has the backing of Royston town council.
The owner of the Royston franchise said that research in other areas has found that Costa "compliments independent retailers", often drawing "increased footfall into retail areas.