Day centre facing cash dilemma
THE Royston Day Centre is to be asked whether it can look at ways of raising cash for classes for the elderly. The centre was hoping for a grant of £1,750 from North Herts District Council s Royston area committee. But the committee was told that under it
THE Royston Day Centre is to be asked whether it can look at ways of raising cash for classes for the elderly.
The centre was hoping for a grant of £1,750 from North Herts District Council's Royston area committee.
But the committee was told that under its rules it could not give such a sum to support an educational
You may also want to watch:
The costs of running classes at the day centre is being demanded from North Herts College.
Cllr F John Smith said: "For 20 years the college has been charging nothing."
- 1 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 2 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
- 3 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 4 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 5 What’s on at community cinema Royston Picture Palace this summer
- 6 Royston Museum finally set to reopen to families
- 7 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 8 Wildlife enthusiast wins photographic society's 'print of the year'
- 9 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 10 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
The day centre has already agreed its budget for the next 12 months - and has received a grant from Herts County Council.
In a statement, the centre said: "A condition of our annual grant from the county council is that our clients have such classes."
Classes at the centre will cost each person £60-a-term.
"The more people who take part then the more
the day centre will need," said Cllr Smith.
Cllr Peter Burt described the demand from North Herts College as "high-handed".
The committee is asking the day centre whether there is the possibility of the cash being raised elsewhere.