Cub scouts from Orwell take on late-night hiking challenge
- Credit: Archant
Cub scouts from Orwell took on a late-night mission at the weekend when they joined a county hiking challenge.
Two teams from 1st Orwell Cub Scouts represented the Royston district at the Hertfordshire Cub Scout Challenge 2014, held in Hemel Hempstead.
Both hiking teams had to complete an eight mile circular route in Hemel Hempstead. The hike did not start until 6.30pm when it was already starting to get dark.
A spokesman for the group said: “Every mile they stopped walking to complete an additional challenge which enabled them to achieve their communication badge by the end of the night. This included Morse code, flag signals, encrypting codes and anagrams.
“Our teams completed the challenges just before midnight. On their return to camp they were rewarded with hot drinks and plenty of biscuits before bed.”
You may also want to watch:
In total, 600 cubs and 200 scouts from around the county attended the event.
- 1 5 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 3 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 4 Julian Clary and Matthew Kelly star in 'a theatrical gem' at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 5 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
- 6 Signs on A505 to discourage littering after stretch becomes 'eyesore'
- 7 Guitar once owned by Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett to be sold at Cambridge auction
- 8 Mission Impossible and Top Gun star Tom Cruise spotted flying at Duxford
- 9 Opinion: Shock tactics needed for retirement saving
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange