Cub scouts from Orwell take on late-night hiking challenge
- Credit: Archant
Cub scouts from Orwell took on a late-night mission at the weekend when they joined a county hiking challenge.
Two teams from 1st Orwell Cub Scouts represented the Royston district at the Hertfordshire Cub Scout Challenge 2014, held in Hemel Hempstead.
Both hiking teams had to complete an eight mile circular route in Hemel Hempstead. The hike did not start until 6.30pm when it was already starting to get dark.
A spokesman for the group said: “Every mile they stopped walking to complete an additional challenge which enabled them to achieve their communication badge by the end of the night. This included Morse code, flag signals, encrypting codes and anagrams.
“Our teams completed the challenges just before midnight. On their return to camp they were rewarded with hot drinks and plenty of biscuits before bed.”
You may also want to watch:
In total, 600 cubs and 200 scouts from around the county attended the event.
- 1 Access between platforms to be restored at Royston station
- 2 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 3 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 4 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 5 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 6 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 7 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 8 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 9 Escape the crowds this summer at these places to visit in Hertfordshire
- 10 Thatcher returns after 30 years to repair cottage where he met his wife