Crow review - Woman of the Year
MUM of three Hayley Newbery touched everybody s hearts in October when she won her battle to receive the potentially life- saving drug Avastin. Hayley, 25, from Greengage Rise, Melbourn, was told she had just two years to live after being diagnosed with b
MUM of three Hayley Newbery touched everybody's hearts in October when she won her battle to receive the potentially life- saving drug Avastin.
Hayley, 25, from Greengage Rise, Melbourn, was told she had just two years to live after being diagnosed with bowel cancer - unless she could afford the £48,000 wonder drug, which is not available on the NHS.
Her doctors at Addenbrooke's Hospital in Cambridge initially said potential future surgery could be complicated if she took the drug at this stage of her treatment, but a review of her case led them to believe Avastin could improve the chances of successful surgery when it is combined with chemotherapy.
Addenbrooke's informed the Royston, Buntingford and Bishops Stortford Primary Care Trust that Avastin would be suitable for Hayley and they agreed to fund it.
You may also want to watch:
Hayley was diagnosed with bowel cancer when she was pregnant. A scan also revealed she had tumours on her liver.
Hayley said at the time: "I'm ecstatic. I was really shocked at first, as I didn't expect them to give it to me straight away.
- 1 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 2 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
- 3 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 4 What’s on at community cinema Royston Picture Palace this summer
- 5 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 6 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 7 Royston Museum finally set to reopen to families
- 8 Wildlife enthusiast wins photographic society's 'print of the year'
- 9 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 10 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses