Bomb squad carries out controlled explosion in Royston
- Credit: supplied
The cordon in Royston town centre is to be lifted after the bomb squad attended the scene of a suspicious vehicle and subsequently carried out a controlled explosion.
Royston High Street and the surrounding roads were cordoned off with some residents evacuated after police were were alerted to a suspicious vehicle - located in the High Street - earlier today
At about 6pm, a Herts police spokeswoman confirmed to the Crow that the incident had now concluded - the explosive ordnance disposal team attended and a controlled explosion was carried out.
The spokeswoman said: "Police were alerted to a suspicious vehicle parked in Royston High Street earlier today.
"A cordon was put in place and the area was evacuated, to allow the vehicle to be assessed safely.
"The explosive ordnance disposal team (EOD) attended and carried out a controlled explosion as a precaution.
You may also want to watch:
"The vehicle is now due to be recovered and further enquiries will be carried out.
"Members of the public are thanked for their patience and understanding throughout."
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 3 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 4 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 5 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 6 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 7 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 8 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 9 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 10 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall