Couple’s Kenya pledge
AN inspirational honeymoon trip has been the basis for charity events organised by a couple.
Georgie and Stephen Dobbyne of Royston, were moved by a school they visited while on their honeymoon in Kenya in September.
Mrs Dobbyne has since held a successful fashion show and papmer evening in her Click Hair Salon in Baldock Street, which raised �250.
“When we went to Mombassa in Kenya we took some pens and pencils over to give to some children,” she said.
“In the end, the receptionist at our hotel took us to the school where her son used to go and we spent ages there.
You may also want to watch:
“They were wondering who we were at first but in the end they were singing to us and teaching us some Swahili and we taught them some English. We gave them footballs, toys and clothes and they loved it.”
The fashion show was held at Click on Friday December 3. Sixteen local models posed in clothes and donations were made for visitors to be pampered.
- 1 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 2 Villagers launch bid to raise £200,000 for 14th-century church paintings
- 3 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 4 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 5 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 6 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 7 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 8 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 9 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 10 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
Mrs Dobbyne said: “It went really well and the models were great. It was a bit hectic in here but we organised it well and I’m so happy we were able to raise money.”
The school that will receive the donations is the Shanzu Prep School, which is for children from single parent families in an area with high poverty.
Stephen Dobbyne, a coach for Royston Celtic Youth Football Club, is planning to host a coaching session to raise money soon.