Couple’s Kenya pledge
AN inspirational honeymoon trip has been the basis for charity events organised by a couple.
Georgie and Stephen Dobbyne of Royston, were moved by a school they visited while on their honeymoon in Kenya in September.
Mrs Dobbyne has since held a successful fashion show and papmer evening in her Click Hair Salon in Baldock Street, which raised �250.
“When we went to Mombassa in Kenya we took some pens and pencils over to give to some children,” she said.
“In the end, the receptionist at our hotel took us to the school where her son used to go and we spent ages there.
You may also want to watch:
“They were wondering who we were at first but in the end they were singing to us and teaching us some Swahili and we taught them some English. We gave them footballs, toys and clothes and they loved it.”
The fashion show was held at Click on Friday December 3. Sixteen local models posed in clothes and donations were made for visitors to be pampered.
- 1 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 2 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 3 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 4 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 5 Community stalwart who led national effort to help navy veterans during pandemic receives BEM
- 6 Commissioner to grill Herts Police chief over stalking powers 'failure'
- 7 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 8 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 10 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
Mrs Dobbyne said: “It went really well and the models were great. It was a bit hectic in here but we organised it well and I’m so happy we were able to raise money.”
The school that will receive the donations is the Shanzu Prep School, which is for children from single parent families in an area with high poverty.
Stephen Dobbyne, a coach for Royston Celtic Youth Football Club, is planning to host a coaching session to raise money soon.