County boundary change needed to benefit Royston say councillors
- Credit: Archant
Councillors are calling for the county boundary to be moved so that Royston can have more of a say in decisions that affect the town.
The calls came after plans for a new waste recycling facility were revealed for land adjacent to Royston sewage treatment works, next to the A505 on the north edge of the town.
Because the site is just across the border in Cambridgeshire, a decision on the scheme will be made by Cambridgeshire County Council, with Royston Town Council not among the list of consultees which includes Melbourn and Bassingbourn parish councils.
Speaking at a meeting of the town council’s planning committee on Monday, Cllr Marguerite Phillips said: “This is a major development being applied that will majorly affect the people of Royston, and it’s in the hands of Cambridgeshire.
“There will be a lot of extra heavy goods vehicles on the A505, and what about the risk of contamination from the waste brought in?”
You may also want to watch:
And Cllr John Davison said: “I think we ought to find a way of annexing part of South Cambridgeshire. Royston needs more control of what happens on its north border.”
The new facility would initially process 75 tonnes of waste each year, and this would involve 23 lorry movements to and from the site each day. Councillors expressed concerns about the impact this would have on traffic on the A505, as well as the extra noise it will cause for residents in the north of the town.
- 1 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 2 What’s on at community cinema Royston Picture Palace this summer
- 3 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 4 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 5 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
- 6 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 7 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 8 Access between platforms to be restored at Royston station
- 9 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 10 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
Cllr F John Smith said: “I’m quite serious when I say that the boundary should be moved and we should be looking to get some land transferred from Cambridgeshire to Hertfordshire. The boundary should be mid-way between Royston and Melbourn.
“There are no new county boundary proposals at the moment, but maybe we should try and start bringing them about. The current situation is not good for Royston.”
County councillor Susan van de Ven said: “I am concerned about this site because of the traffic and the proposed site entrance. The planning application hasn’t addressed the turn off to the site which is why I cannot support it.”
She added: “Royston Town Council must be consulted and there is still time. I would urged them to make sure that they contact Cambridge County Council.”
*What do you think? Would you support the county boundaries being moved? Email email@example.com.