Councillor set to stand down at election
COUNTY councillor Doug Drake is to stand down at the next elections. Cllr Drake has represented Royston on Herts County Council for the past 12 years. Royston Conservative Party met on Tuesday evening and decided that Cllr Fiona Hill should be prospective
COUNTY councillor Doug Drake is to stand down at the next elections.
Cllr Drake has represented Royston on Herts County Council for the past 12 years.
Royston Conservative Party met on Tuesday evening and decided that Cllr Fiona Hill should be prospective candidate for county council elections in 2009.
Cllr Hill is currently a member of North Herts District Council and is chairman of the Royston area committee. She has been, too, a councillor on Royston Town Council.
You may also want to watch:
She said Cllr Drake would be "a hard act to follow".
"His hard work and commitment to Royston has always come through in his role as a county councillor," she said.
- 1 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 4 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 5 Have you visited the Orwell Clunch Pit? New sign tells of unique site's significance
- 6 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 7 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 8 Outstanding day had by all at Streetfood Heroes event
- 9 How do North East Herts and South Cambs fare in the latest boundary review proposals?
- 10 Sign up to village duathlon and raise funds for Home-Start
"He has always been looking for the best deal for Royston."
One example, said Cllr Hill, was his determination to see the development of a rail crossing linking the Burns Road development and the rest of Royston.
Work on a £3.5 million subway is expected to begin at Christmas.
Cllr Hill said that she was "delighted" to be selected as the prospective candidate.
"If elected I will work hard to ensure the best deal for Royston," she said.
Cllr Drake was elected to the county council in 1997 and held the Royston division in elections in 2001 and 2005.
He had previously been a councillor on North Herts District Council and a member of Royston Town Council.
Cllr Drake said: "It would be so easy to carry on, but I do believe there comes a time when others should take the helm.
"I know too many people who think they are indispensable," he said.