Councillor escapes disciplinary action
AN outspoken councillor who was accused of making offensive remarks and bullying staff, says the allegations were a surprise . South Cambridgeshire district councillor Deborah Roberts, who has represented Fowlmere and Foxton since 1990, escaped disciplin
AN outspoken councillor who was accused of making offensive remarks and bullying staff, says the allegations were a "surprise".
South Cambridgeshire district councillor Deborah Roberts, who has represented Fowlmere and Foxton since 1990, escaped disciplinary action after the standards board carried out an 10-month investigation into her behaviour.
The report said she:
- Sent threatening e-mails
- Berated the council's head of community services
- Questioned the ability of the planning director
- 1 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 2 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
- 3 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 4 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
- 5 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
- 6 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 7 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 8 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
- 9 Bringing sunshine to our NHS - charity launches match funding to double money
- 10 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
- Made offensive remarks about travellers.
Cllr Roberts said: "I have always been straight talking, but I can't imagine what it was all about. I didn't do anything to warrant these allegations.
In the future Cllr Roberts said she wanted to focus her intentions on her job.
"I haven't let this distract me during the past 10 months.
"I will hopefully remain on the council and continue to represent the people. I think I've made a positive contribution."
Standards board chairman David Gilbertson said the committee's decision not to punish Cllr Roberts was "perverse" and as a result he has resigned.