Council tax cheat crackdown launched by SCDC
A CRACKDOWN has been launched in South Cambs to track down fraudsters wrongly claiming council tax benefits.
South Cambs District Council will be searching for residents incorrectly claiming the 25 per cent single occupancy discount.
Tax bosses at the authority urge anyone whose circumstances have changed recently to inform the council, to get in touch before claims begin to be checked next month.
Cllr Simon Edwards, SCDC’s cabinet member for finance, said: “We already routinely check claims but this further crackdown is aimed at tracking down the small minority of people who still deliberately disadvantage honest taxpayers by making false claims.”
The body will work with other local authorities and government departments to check all claims where more than one person over 18 is living.
Letters will be sent to residents next month in order to confirm that a single occupancy discount still applies.
If a discount has been deliberately claimed in order to falsify a benefit claim this will be treated as benefit fraud and legal proceedings will be taken in order to recover the money.
- 1 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 2 Grandad celebrates 18th sailing championship win
- 3 Hertfordshire under Met Office yellow warning for storms
- 4 Vintage tractor run to raise money for churches
- 5 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 6 One of a kind Second World War aircraft to fly in historic flypast at IWM Duxford’s Battle of Britain Air Show 2022
- 7 'Hitchin is the only place I've felt accepted'
- 8 Johnson Matthey to build £80 million 'gigafactory' in Royston
- 9 Everything you need to know about the August train driver strike
- 10 MP hosts gathering for Ukrainian refugees
Cllr Edwards added: “If you receive a letter next month, we are simply asking you to confirm whether you are still entitled to the discount you are receiving so we can update our records.
“Only people making false claims have anything to be worried about.
“We always remind residents to come forward and tell us whenever their circumstances change and our council tax teams are on hand to help you if you are unsure.”