Council tax cheat crackdown launched by SCDC
A CRACKDOWN has been launched in South Cambs to track down fraudsters wrongly claiming council tax benefits.
South Cambs District Council will be searching for residents incorrectly claiming the 25 per cent single occupancy discount.
Tax bosses at the authority urge anyone whose circumstances have changed recently to inform the council, to get in touch before claims begin to be checked next month.
Cllr Simon Edwards, SCDC’s cabinet member for finance, said: “We already routinely check claims but this further crackdown is aimed at tracking down the small minority of people who still deliberately disadvantage honest taxpayers by making false claims.”
The body will work with other local authorities and government departments to check all claims where more than one person over 18 is living.
You may also want to watch:
Letters will be sent to residents next month in order to confirm that a single occupancy discount still applies.
If a discount has been deliberately claimed in order to falsify a benefit claim this will be treated as benefit fraud and legal proceedings will be taken in order to recover the money.
- 1 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 2 RAF Red Arrows and Typhoon dazzle crowds at Duxford Summer Air Show
- 3 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital
- 4 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 5 What’s on at community cinema Royston Picture Palace this summer
- 6 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 7 Royston Museum finally set to reopen to families
- 8 Wildlife enthusiast wins photographic society's 'print of the year'
- 9 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 10 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
Cllr Edwards added: “If you receive a letter next month, we are simply asking you to confirm whether you are still entitled to the discount you are receiving so we can update our records.
“Only people making false claims have anything to be worried about.
“We always remind residents to come forward and tell us whenever their circumstances change and our council tax teams are on hand to help you if you are unsure.”