Council near the top of tax table
A DISTRICT council has maintained its high standards when it comes to collecting council tax. South Cambridgeshire District Council collected 99.1 per cent of council tax during 2008/09, according to recently released figures. This rate is the seventh hig
A DISTRICT council has maintained its high standards when it comes to collecting council tax.
South Cambridgeshire District Council collected 99.1 per cent of council tax during 2008/09, according to recently released figures. This rate is the seventh highest in the country.
Cllr Simon Edwards, portfolio holder for staffing and finance, said:
"Everyone saw the recession beginning to bite during this period and we're aware that finances became difficult for many people. It was vital, however, that we continued our efforts to collect council tax and business rates, to enable us to provide vital services for everyone in the district.
You may also want to watch:
"Our staff work hard to ensure we get this money and it isn't always a popular job. I would like to thank them for their hard work in making sure we collect in an efficient way that makes it simple for our residents and businesses. I would also like to take the opportunity to say thank you to all those who pay their bills each month.
"Of course we'll be continuing to chase that small percentage we still haven't received," he said.
- 1 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
- 4 'Outstanding' Royston police officer wins Chief Constable's award
- 5 College chapel goes green to raise awareness of rare condition
- 6 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 7 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 8 Cambs police crack down on county lines drugs offences
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 10 Dial M for an interesting look at the macabre
Anyone unable to pay council tax because of genuine financial difficulties is advised to contact the district council straight away on 03450 450 064.