Council defers pool decision
EAST Herts District Council has deferred the decision to close the Ward Freman Swimming pool in Buntingford. The plan to close the pool at weekends and on bank holidays was called in by the council s policy scrutiny committee who asked the executive to
EAST Herts District Council has deferred the decision to close the Ward Freman Swimming pool in Buntingford.
The plan to close the pool at weekends and on bank holidays was 'called in' by the council's policy scrutiny committee who asked the executive to defer the decision for two months.
In that time more detailed financial data and information on pool usage will be obtained from owners Stevenage Leisure.
At a meeting of Buntingford Town Council last week, Councillor Stan Bull said: "I am delighted to tell members that the closure of the swimming pool has been suspended for a couple of months.
Lets hope that we can do something further to keep the swimming pool open."
Councillor John Warren also defended the swimming pool at the meeting asking for the decision to be post-poned.
- 1 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 2 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 3 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 4 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 5 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 6 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and meteor showers
- 7 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 8 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 9 Census data reveals Hertfordshire population boom over last decade
- 10 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
Committee members spoke about a lack of consultation with pool users after outrage at the plans from Buntingford residents.
The decision was due to come into force last Sunday but the swimming pool will now stay open to the public for the coming months.
The cost of swimming lessons has increased this week from £1.25 to £1.50. At the same meeting the full council passed the decision.