Council could take steps to protect rural pubs in Cambridgeshire from closure, conversion or demolition
- Credit: Archant
A council could step in to protect rural pubs threatened with closure, conversion or demolition.
South Cambridgeshire district council is consulting with communities on the possibility of using an Article 4 Direction – a planning power which could mean pubs would no longer be able to be converted or demolished without the need to submit a new planning application.
Under current planning legislation a pub can be lawfully converted to a shop without further planning permission. The change can be made under what is known as permitted development rights.
Councillor Nick Wright, the council’s portfolio holder for economic development, said: “We all know how hard it has been for the pub industry, but equally there is also recognition the vital role village pubs play at the heart of communities. I’m really pleased we are going to be able to be able to let people have their say on the issue and I hope we will be able to stop pubs using the freedoms allowed in national planning rules to convert, and even knock down pubs, without any consultation with local people.”
The consultation will consider whether a blanket Article 4 Direction should be implemented to stop any pub being demolished without consent, but it will also ask which pubs or communities in particular want to see pubs given extra protection from a change of use.
You may also want to watch:
Several pubs in Crow country have been threatened with closure in recent months, including the Plough at Shepreth, which has now re-opened.
Plans for the consultation are currently being draw up by the council’s officers.
- 1 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 2 Access between platforms to be restored at Royston station
- 3 Person dies after being struck by train in Cambridge
- 4 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 5 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 6 Police hunt 36-year-old wanted for harassment and restraining order breaches
- 7 How many people in our area have been 'pinged' by NHS COVID app?
- 8 Sir Tom Jones set for green, green grass of Newmarket Racecourses
- 9 Escape the crowds this summer at these places to visit in Hertfordshire
- 10 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays