Council could pay towards restoring service
MONEY towards the costs of running a bus service could come from Royston Town Council, it emerged on Monday evening. But councillors were more determined to take cash from outside sources. Cllr Lindsay Davidson told the general purposes and highways commi
MONEY towards the costs of running a bus service could come from Royston Town Council, it emerged on Monday evening.
But councillors were more determined to take cash from outside sources.
Cllr Lindsay Davidson told the general purposes and highways committee: "Let's find the money - it's out there."
The comment came during a discussion on the loss of No 17 town bus service in Royston after cuts in Herts County Council's public transport budget.
The move came after North Herts District Council decided to stop paying a subsidy for bus services across the district.
It has emerged, however, that the town council does have the powers to give a grant to provide community transport.
- 1 One of a kind Second World War aircraft to fly in historic flypast at IWM Duxford’s Battle of Britain Air Show 2022
- 2 Melbourn's Dan Goodfellow hails 'extra-special' Commonwealth gold
- 3 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 4 MP hosts gathering for Ukrainian refugees
- 5 Men's health champion receives funding boost from Ashwell Masonic Lodge
- 6 'Flood the internet' to save waterways in South Cambs
- 7 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 8 Sir Tom Jones stage times for Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens
- 9 Meet Hertfordshire's Birmingham 2022 medal winners
- 10 Firefighters tackle large blaze in field in Guilden Morden
Committee chairman Cllr Mike Harrison said: "The loss of the service is causing a lot of hardship," he said.
He said, too, that due to the reduction in the bus services, people were left at bus stops last week because the bus had reached passenger capacity.
And Cllr Robert Inwood said it had become obvious that traffic had increased with parents taking children to school.
It is understood that North Herts District Council is exploring options over the provision of the bus service.