Could you volunteer on Royston’s Therfield Heath?
- Credit: Archant
The Conservators of Therfield Heath and Greens would like to hear from anyone interested in getting actively involved in the maintenance of the nature reserve on a voluntary basis.
They are hoping to set up a group of volunteers to take on practical tasks like scrub clearance, about once a month.
Clerk David Smith said: “Scrub clearance is an essential part of the site maintenance.
“The chalk grassland habitat of Therfield Heath is extremely scarce in this country. Historically, the chalk grassland was cropped short by grazing animals so the scrub never had a chance to take hold.
“If we do not tackle the encroaching scrub, we will lose the chalk grassland and its specialist inhabitants such as the chalkhill blue butterfly and the pasque flower.”
You may also want to watch:
“If you would like to be part of an active team of practical volunteers, please get in touch with us.”
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 2 In pictures: The Battle of Britain Air Show 2021 at IWM Duxford
- 3 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 4 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 5 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 6 This Hound could run and and run... Sherlock Holmes play was 'a fun evening'
- 7 22-year-old sentenced for criminal damage in Melbourn
- 8 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 9 Co-operation 'vital' in A505 Royston to Granta Park scheme
- 10 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes