Conflicts of interest’ fear over working partnership plan
A WORKING partnership between Buntingford Town Council and the town centre management team will not be set up for the time being. The idea was for the town council to become more involved with the management team. But no action is to be taken following a
A WORKING partnership between Buntingford Town Council and the town centre management team will not be set up for the time being.
The idea was for the town council to become more involved with the management team.
But no action is to be taken following a resources committee meeting on Thursday.
Councillor Pat Whittaker said: "I am not in favour of the partnership because both sides are coming from different directions. One is a democratically elected body and the other isn't.
"I think we need something promoting the town on a day-to-day basis.
"If the two groups team up there could be conflicts of interest, so what we need is a pressure group acting independently.
- 1 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 2 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 3 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 4 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 5 Melbourn Village College ready for Hastings battle in quarter-finals of national cup
- 6 Royston drama group CADS announces winner of 2022 Fred Sillence Award
- 7 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 8 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 9 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 10 Experience University of Cambridge Museums' free Twilight with the Museums sleepover at home
"Another concern I have is the extra money factor. I gather if we had gone into partnership with the management team, the group would have looked for more money from the town council."
Town centre manager Mark Dell said: "I think the partnership was a good idea, because like the management team, the town council has the interests of the town at heart.
"Any partnership with them would be good for the future of the town, but with uncertainty of the direction of the management team in the near future, then it perhaps thought a partnership at this stage was not appropriate, but may be in the future.