Concerns over parking strategy
COUNCILLORS have expressed concerns about a parking strategy which could see charges introduced in Royston in the evenings and at weekends. North Herts District Council s new draft parking strategy says that the council will consider charging for parking
COUNCILLORS have expressed concerns about a parking strategy which could see charges introduced in Royston in the evenings and at weekends.
North Herts District Council's new draft parking strategy says that the council will "consider charging for parking for evenings and Sundays when tariffs are reviewed" for the districts car parks.
At last week's meeting of the district council's Royston and district area committee, councillors backed the scheme as a draft document for the entire district, but said it would need to be adapted to suit Royston's needs.
Cllr Fiona Hill, chairman of the area committee, said: "The thought of evening and weekend charges fills me with horror.
You may also want to watch:
"Different towns have different needs and it is vital car parking charges reflect this."
Cllr Tony Hunter added: "I couldn't ever agree to charging for parking at weekends, one cap doesn't fit all in this case."
- 1 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 2 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 3 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 4 Nuthampstead Olympic Shooter takes bronze in Tokyo
- 5 Stunning snap causes stir online
- 6 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 7 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 8 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm
- 9 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 10 No Olympic medal for Daniel Goodfellow after synchronized diving heartbreak
The strategy will shape the way the provision of car parks in North Herts is handled in the coming years. It will be considered in more detail by the council's cabinet at their September meeting.
Meanwhile shoppers in Royston will get a day's free parking at Christmas.
The area committee agreed to pay �1,130 to support the initiative, which will take place on Friday December 18 following a recommendation by town centre manager Geraint Burnell, and the Royston Chamber of Commerce.
However, Cllr Liz Beardwell said she believes free parking should have been provided on a Saturday instead.
She said: "Saturday is the shopping day, and that way we would be able to support the market as well."
But Cllr F John Smith said: "People will come into town anyway on a Saturday. This way we will hopefully attract more shoppers to Royston.