Community radio station to open Royston branch?
A COMMUNITY radio station is offering residents of Crow Country the opportunity to get their voices on the air waves.
Envision Radio is looking to expand its operation to Royston and give people in and around the town the chance to get involved at a grass roots level.
Founder and director, Fonz Chamberlain, said: “We have already started trying to reach out to people, we have visited some of the villages meeting people and making them aware of things we would like to do and things we have done in the past.
“A lot of people are not aware that community radio is available to them.”
Envision hope to set up a satellite office in Royston to feed into their existing Cambridge-based station as well as helping young people get involved with radio and passing on vital skills.
You may also want to watch:
The 33-year-old former Meldreth resident said: “We have already got a few young people from the villages to the west of Cambridge involved.
“We have a 14-year-old lad who talks about what is in the charts and another lad who does sport for the whole area and he goes out and speaks to football teams.
- 1 Teen arrested in connection with sexual assault investigation
- 2 Storm Christoph: Prepare for flooding in South Cambs
- 3 Power cut affects nearly 9,000 homes and businesses
- 4 COVID-19 deaths across Hertfordshire hit new milestone
- 5 Wildlife photographer's lockdown calendar raises money for those in need
- 6 Families of care home residents worry about vaccine roll-out delays
- 7 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
- 8 Granta surgeries deliver COVID-19 vaccinations
- 9 Luton Airport flight path public consultation in final weeks
- 10 Two arrested after drugs raid in Bassingbourn
“They have been given training and things like that.”
Mr Chamberlain has been involved in community radio and knows hard had it is to get to broadcasters in South Cambs from his youth and hopes to give youngsters the chance to get involved with broadcasting.
Although the station currently only broadcasts online there are plans to become available on both digital and fm receivers, with plans afoot to expand into local TV.
Talks are also under way with councils to try and secure funding for the Royston office.
For more information on Envision log on to www.envisionradio.co.uk