Coach destroyed in M11 fire
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters were called to a fire on the M11 between junction 8 and junction 9 this afternoon.
Crews were called around 1pm and reported on arrival that a coach was completely alight on the hardshoulder of the northbound carriageway. The fire had also spread to the nearby grass embankment.
The northbound carriageway was completely closed while firefighters extinguished the fire and ensured the surrounding area was safe.
The fire was extinguished completely by 2.21pm. The coach has been destroyed.
By 2.45pm, the road was gradually being reopened to traffic.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for Highways England said: “Traffic is passing in one lane on the M11 northbound betwen J8 and J9 near Saffron Walden, Wendens Ambo and Newport following a bus fire, long delays of approx 60 mins above normal journey time.
“Standing traffic will take time for traffic to clear. Consider alternative routes at this time.”
- 1 Pre-school plots Pyjamarama fundraising day for book charity
- 2 Rainbow alliance set out their stall for Cambridgeshire
- 3 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 4 Royston Community Health to close as hospital hub plan deemed unattainable
- 5 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 6 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 7 Missing teen found safe and well
- 8 Royston Town Council by-election: Meridian ward result
- 9 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 10 Car wash raids spark modern slavery fears in Cambridgeshire