Club's tribute after football fan Marc's brave battle
TRIBUTES have been paid to a former Royston Town footballer and supporter who died after fighting a brave battle with leukaemia. Marc Newman, 30, of Donne Close, Royston, died on Saturday. He leaves a partner, Dawn, and two young children, Taylor, three,
TRIBUTES have been paid to a former Royston Town footballer and supporter who died after fighting a brave battle with leukaemia.
Marc Newman, 30, of Donne Close, Royston, died on Saturday.
He leaves a partner, Dawn, and two young children, Taylor, three, and Billy, 11 weeks.
A spokesman for Royston Town Football Club said: "We are sorry to hear this sad news.
"Marc fought a great battle with this disease, and was a valued player and supporter of the club.
"Clearly he will be sadly missed by everyone who knew him, and our thoughts and condolences are with his whole family, especially his wife Dawn and two children."
- 1 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 2 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 3 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 4 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 5 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 6 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 7 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 8 Ian Stewart murder trial: Killer 'restricted wife's breathing and fabricated epilepsy death'
- 9 Meet team behind new Royston Town Party
- 10 EastEnders' Adam Woodyatt and Laurie Brett reunited on stage in Looking Good Dead at Cambridge Arts Theatre
Marc, who was the brother-in-law of Crows striker Craig Hammond, played for Royston reserves under Peter Baker.
A minute's silence was held in his memory at the reserves game against Ampthill on Saturday, with all the players wearing black armbands.
Craig Hammond himself put in a courageous performance, netting four goals.
Marc's funeral will be held at Cambridge Crematorium on Monday, at 1.30pm.
A wake will be held at Royston Football Club afterwards.
Donations in Marc's memory can be made payable to Addenbrooke's Charities for Ward C10, and can be sent via Newlings of Royston Funeral Service, Kingfisher House, Fish Hill, Royston, SG8 9LB.