Club's tribute after football fan Marc's brave battle
TRIBUTES have been paid to a former Royston Town footballer and supporter who died after fighting a brave battle with leukaemia. Marc Newman, 30, of Donne Close, Royston, died on Saturday. He leaves a partner, Dawn, and two young children, Taylor, three,
TRIBUTES have been paid to a former Royston Town footballer and supporter who died after fighting a brave battle with leukaemia.
Marc Newman, 30, of Donne Close, Royston, died on Saturday.
He leaves a partner, Dawn, and two young children, Taylor, three, and Billy, 11 weeks.
A spokesman for Royston Town Football Club said: "We are sorry to hear this sad news.
You may also want to watch:
"Marc fought a great battle with this disease, and was a valued player and supporter of the club.
"Clearly he will be sadly missed by everyone who knew him, and our thoughts and condolences are with his whole family, especially his wife Dawn and two children."
- 1 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 2 'If I lived three miles away the obstacles would've been lower' - Councillor calls for IVF to be reinstated in Cambs
- 3 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 4 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 5 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 6 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 7 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 8 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
- 9 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 10 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
Marc, who was the brother-in-law of Crows striker Craig Hammond, played for Royston reserves under Peter Baker.
A minute's silence was held in his memory at the reserves game against Ampthill on Saturday, with all the players wearing black armbands.
Craig Hammond himself put in a courageous performance, netting four goals.
Marc's funeral will be held at Cambridge Crematorium on Monday, at 1.30pm.
A wake will be held at Royston Football Club afterwards.
Donations in Marc's memory can be made payable to Addenbrooke's Charities for Ward C10, and can be sent via Newlings of Royston Funeral Service, Kingfisher House, Fish Hill, Royston, SG8 9LB.