Club's tribute after football fan Marc's brave battle
TRIBUTES have been paid to a former Royston Town footballer and supporter who died after fighting a brave battle with leukaemia. Marc Newman, 30, of Donne Close, Royston, died on Saturday. He leaves a partner, Dawn, and two young children, Taylor, three,
TRIBUTES have been paid to a former Royston Town footballer and supporter who died after fighting a brave battle with leukaemia.
Marc Newman, 30, of Donne Close, Royston, died on Saturday.
He leaves a partner, Dawn, and two young children, Taylor, three, and Billy, 11 weeks.
A spokesman for Royston Town Football Club said: "We are sorry to hear this sad news.
You may also want to watch:
"Marc fought a great battle with this disease, and was a valued player and supporter of the club.
"Clearly he will be sadly missed by everyone who knew him, and our thoughts and condolences are with his whole family, especially his wife Dawn and two children."
- 1 Royston photographer wins abstract picture competition
- 2 Ofcom investigation into problem key fobs at Tesco Royston concludes
- 3 Aircraft museum celebrates 85 years since the Spitfire's maiden flight
- 4 Fire-hit parish church secures vital cash boost
- 5 Person dies after being hit by train near Welwyn Garden City railway station
- 6 Nearly a million trees planted alongside A14 die and need replacing
- 7 Person hit by train between London Kings Cross and Stevenage
- 8 Shellens quits after committee votes to gag Hickford debate
- 9 COVID deaths fall by 50% in Herts hospitals
- 10 Star turns make Netflix movie Malcolm & Marie 'a real must-see'
Marc, who was the brother-in-law of Crows striker Craig Hammond, played for Royston reserves under Peter Baker.
A minute's silence was held in his memory at the reserves game against Ampthill on Saturday, with all the players wearing black armbands.
Craig Hammond himself put in a courageous performance, netting four goals.
Marc's funeral will be held at Cambridge Crematorium on Monday, at 1.30pm.
A wake will be held at Royston Football Club afterwards.
Donations in Marc's memory can be made payable to Addenbrooke's Charities for Ward C10, and can be sent via Newlings of Royston Funeral Service, Kingfisher House, Fish Hill, Royston, SG8 9LB.