Club's tribute after football fan Marc's brave battle
TRIBUTES have been paid to a former Royston Town footballer and supporter who died after fighting a brave battle with leukaemia. Marc Newman, 30, of Donne Close, Royston, died on Saturday. He leaves a partner, Dawn, and two young children, Taylor, three,
TRIBUTES have been paid to a former Royston Town footballer and supporter who died after fighting a brave battle with leukaemia.
Marc Newman, 30, of Donne Close, Royston, died on Saturday.
He leaves a partner, Dawn, and two young children, Taylor, three, and Billy, 11 weeks.
A spokesman for Royston Town Football Club said: "We are sorry to hear this sad news.
You may also want to watch:
"Marc fought a great battle with this disease, and was a valued player and supporter of the club.
"Clearly he will be sadly missed by everyone who knew him, and our thoughts and condolences are with his whole family, especially his wife Dawn and two children."
- 1 'Panic-buying is crippling us' - petrol station owner urges motorists to think before they refuel
- 2 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist sustains serious injuries in crash
- 3 17 of the prettiest streets in North Herts
- 4 Royston Arts Festival committee overcomes COVID difficulties to bring back events
- 5 Get on your bike for the A10 Awareness Ride comeback
- 6 North Herts and Beds villages hit by power cut
- 7 Barkway Lit Fest proves to be a real page-turner
- 8 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 9 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 10 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
Marc, who was the brother-in-law of Crows striker Craig Hammond, played for Royston reserves under Peter Baker.
A minute's silence was held in his memory at the reserves game against Ampthill on Saturday, with all the players wearing black armbands.
Craig Hammond himself put in a courageous performance, netting four goals.
Marc's funeral will be held at Cambridge Crematorium on Monday, at 1.30pm.
A wake will be held at Royston Football Club afterwards.
Donations in Marc's memory can be made payable to Addenbrooke's Charities for Ward C10, and can be sent via Newlings of Royston Funeral Service, Kingfisher House, Fish Hill, Royston, SG8 9LB.