Cinema site plans on show
PLANS for housing on the site of the old Priory Cinema in Royston could be submitted in the next two months.
That’s according to Mark Duffin, who is managing the project for developers North Herts Homes, which would see 44 homes for elderly people built on the land at the junction of Priory Lane and Newmarket Road.
Mr Duffin was speaking at a consultation event held at the Old Bull hotel in Royston yesterday (Wednesday), at which the revised draft plans for the development were unveiled.
He said: “It’s been a really positive consultation so far.
“And we’ve had loads of people in who want to know how they can reserve a place for themselves or a family member.
You may also want to watch:
“I don’t see any reason why we can’t have a formal planning application in place in a couple of months’ time.”
Initial plans for the site were revealed last summer, and it had been hoped a planning application would be submitted before Christmas.
- 1 Inside Country Boarding for Cats and Dogs: Award-winning kennels' labour of love
- 2 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 4 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
- 5 Pupils wish villagers a happy harvest with afternoon tea
- 6 Group of mums and dad in wig go the distance for wheelchair charity
- 7 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 8 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
- 9 Crows to take defeats on the chin after unbeaten run comes to a frustrating end
- 10 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
But a redesign has been undertaken following concerns raised by local residents.
“We’ve changed the scheme a bit in terms of the height and shape of the building,” said Mr Duffin.
“It’s an important part of Royston because it’s something of a gateway to the town, so we wanted to get it right and are glad to have taken the time to do so.
“There is a definite need for housing for elderly people in the area.”