Child sex attack figures revealed
MORE than 550 children were victims of sex crimes in Herts and Cambs last year.
The figures came to light after an investigation by the National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty for Children with the juveniles subject to rape, incest and abuse through prostitution in 2010/11.
In Hertfordshire there were 150 victims with the majority of them aged between 11-17 however 24 of the victims in Hertfordshire had not reached secondary school and four were five or younger.
There were over 400 in Cambs during the same period with 379 of the victims girls compared to just 60 boys.
Dan Russell, regional head of service for north London and east of England at the NSPCC, said: “The NSPCC is doing what it can by using information like this from the police to tailor our treatment services- different approaches are needed depending on the age of the child.”
You may also want to watch:
NSPCC obtained the information through freedom of information requests.
- 1 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 2 New headteacher appointed for King James Academy Royston
- 3 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 4 Arrest made after woman verbally abused in alleyway
- 5 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 6 Have your say on Barkway Road development proposal
- 7 'Community campaigns are making an impact, so have your say on rail link'
- 8 Family builds fairy garden for grandchildren during lockdown
- 9 Man who climbed on Tesco freezer jailed for string of offences
- 10 'We have a huge task on our hands, but The Pheasant will fly again'