Chernobyl children get display of power kites
MEMBERS of the Royston Power Kite club entertained the children from Chernobyl with a series of stunts and jumps. The 16 youngsters were taken to Therfield Heath and given a kite and power kite demonstration. Club member Mark Coningsby said: Power kitin
MEMBERS of the Royston Power Kite club entertained the children from Chernobyl with a series of stunts and jumps.
The 16 youngsters were taken to Therfield Heath and given a kite and power kite demonstration.
Club member Mark Coningsby said: "Power kiting is becoming quite a popular sport and we thought the children would like to watch a demonstration.
"It's entertaining particularly when we do some jumps and flips.
You may also want to watch:
"We also had the traditional kites out and showed them some of the giant ones - their favourite was definitely the Winnie the Pooh one.
"The day has also given them the chance to get out in the fresh air, run around and have fun, which is what it's all about."
- 1 Pre-school plots Pyjamarama fundraising day for book charity
- 2 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 3 Rainbow alliance set out their stall for Cambridgeshire
- 4 Royston Community Health to close as hospital hub plan deemed unattainable
- 5 'We are bursting with excitement to welcome community back into our pubs!'
- 6 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 7 Missing teen found safe and well
- 8 Royston Town Council by-election: Meridian ward result
- 9 Car wash raids spark modern slavery fears in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Filming taking place at National Trust's Wimpole Estate
The group, which gives a regular display at the Royston Kite Festival, wowed the children on their kite boards and buggies.
Mr Coningsby said: "It's something that they probably haven't seen before. It looked like they had a great time and their eyes really lit up at some of the sights."
After the demonstrations the children were taken around the field on small training buggies.
Ian Dunklin, of the Friends of Chernobyl's Children, said: "They have all had such a great time and they really enjoyed getting in the buggies and seeing the kites.