Chernobyl boy given emergency op
AFTER a life-saving operation eight-year-old Vlad Bonich has been reunited with his mum in Melbourn. Vlad, who was one of the 17 youngsters involved with the Friends of Chernobyl s Children programme, was rushed to Addenbrooke s after a series of headach
AFTER a life-saving operation eight-year-old Vlad Bonich has been reunited with his mum in Melbourn.
Vlad, who was one of the 17 youngsters involved with the Friends of Chernobyl's Children programme, was rushed to Addenbrooke's after a series of headaches.
After an examination he under-went a two-hour operation on Saturday as a result of hydrocephalus, which is a build up of fluid around the surface of the brain.
Nicola Dunklin, of the Friends of Chernobyl's Children, said: "He's been in and out of hospital a lot over the last year. Last week he had complained of these headaches and we were obviously concerned.
You may also want to watch:
"We had no idea how serious it was. He became very poorly and we were given a real scare."
Due to the operation, Vlad was unable to fly back with the rest of the group to Belarus on Sunday.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 4 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 5 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 6 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 7 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 8 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 9 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
- 10 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
Nicola said: "If this had happened when he had returned he may not have survived.
"This operation will give him a better life."
The charity flew Vlad's mother, Lullianna over to be by her son's side.
Lullianna told The Crow: "I'm tired and have had many sleepless nights. I feel better now we are together."
Vlad said: "I'm ok, and I'm feeling a lot better.