Chernobyl boy given emergency op
AFTER a life-saving operation eight-year-old Vlad Bonich has been reunited with his mum in Melbourn. Vlad, who was one of the 17 youngsters involved with the Friends of Chernobyl s Children programme, was rushed to Addenbrooke s after a series of headach
AFTER a life-saving operation eight-year-old Vlad Bonich has been reunited with his mum in Melbourn.
Vlad, who was one of the 17 youngsters involved with the Friends of Chernobyl's Children programme, was rushed to Addenbrooke's after a series of headaches.
After an examination he under-went a two-hour operation on Saturday as a result of hydrocephalus, which is a build up of fluid around the surface of the brain.
Nicola Dunklin, of the Friends of Chernobyl's Children, said: "He's been in and out of hospital a lot over the last year. Last week he had complained of these headaches and we were obviously concerned.
You may also want to watch:
"We had no idea how serious it was. He became very poorly and we were given a real scare."
Due to the operation, Vlad was unable to fly back with the rest of the group to Belarus on Sunday.
- 1 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 2 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 3 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 4 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 5 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 6 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 7 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 8 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 9 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE
- 10 Sign up to village duathlon and raise funds for Home-Start
Nicola said: "If this had happened when he had returned he may not have survived.
"This operation will give him a better life."
The charity flew Vlad's mother, Lullianna over to be by her son's side.
Lullianna told The Crow: "I'm tired and have had many sleepless nights. I feel better now we are together."
Vlad said: "I'm ok, and I'm feeling a lot better.