Chernobyl boy given emergency op
AFTER a life-saving operation eight-year-old Vlad Bonich has been reunited with his mum in Melbourn. Vlad, who was one of the 17 youngsters involved with the Friends of Chernobyl s Children programme, was rushed to Addenbrooke s after a series of headach
AFTER a life-saving operation eight-year-old Vlad Bonich has been reunited with his mum in Melbourn.
Vlad, who was one of the 17 youngsters involved with the Friends of Chernobyl's Children programme, was rushed to Addenbrooke's after a series of headaches.
After an examination he under-went a two-hour operation on Saturday as a result of hydrocephalus, which is a build up of fluid around the surface of the brain.
Nicola Dunklin, of the Friends of Chernobyl's Children, said: "He's been in and out of hospital a lot over the last year. Last week he had complained of these headaches and we were obviously concerned.
"We had no idea how serious it was. He became very poorly and we were given a real scare."
Due to the operation, Vlad was unable to fly back with the rest of the group to Belarus on Sunday.
- 1 Fine issued after rubbish fly-tipped in country lane
- 2 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 3 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 4 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 5 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 6 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 7 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 8 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 9 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 10 MPs remain silent on whether they have confidence in PM
Nicola said: "If this had happened when he had returned he may not have survived.
"This operation will give him a better life."
The charity flew Vlad's mother, Lullianna over to be by her son's side.
Lullianna told The Crow: "I'm tired and have had many sleepless nights. I feel better now we are together."
Vlad said: "I'm ok, and I'm feeling a lot better.