Chernobyl boy given emergency op
AFTER a life-saving operation eight-year-old Vlad Bonich has been reunited with his mum in Melbourn. Vlad, who was one of the 17 youngsters involved with the Friends of Chernobyl s Children programme, was rushed to Addenbrooke s after a series of headach
AFTER a life-saving operation eight-year-old Vlad Bonich has been reunited with his mum in Melbourn.
Vlad, who was one of the 17 youngsters involved with the Friends of Chernobyl's Children programme, was rushed to Addenbrooke's after a series of headaches.
After an examination he under-went a two-hour operation on Saturday as a result of hydrocephalus, which is a build up of fluid around the surface of the brain.
Nicola Dunklin, of the Friends of Chernobyl's Children, said: "He's been in and out of hospital a lot over the last year. Last week he had complained of these headaches and we were obviously concerned.
"We had no idea how serious it was. He became very poorly and we were given a real scare."
Due to the operation, Vlad was unable to fly back with the rest of the group to Belarus on Sunday.
- 1 Firefighters tackle large blaze in field in Guilden Morden
- 2 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 3 Let's go fly a kite as festival returns after two years
- 4 Herts' 'league of extraordinary farmers' come together to fight field fires
- 5 Author AJ Campbell to publish fourth novel
- 6 Melbourn's Dan Goodfellow hails 'extra-special' Commonwealth gold
- 7 9 things to do on a day trip to Hitchin, Hertfordshire
- 8 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 9 Residents concerned 140 homes plan could cause 'ecological catastrophe'
- 10 Hertfordshire 'extreme heat' amber warning as temperature set to soar
Nicola said: "If this had happened when he had returned he may not have survived.
"This operation will give him a better life."
The charity flew Vlad's mother, Lullianna over to be by her son's side.
Lullianna told The Crow: "I'm tired and have had many sleepless nights. I feel better now we are together."
Vlad said: "I'm ok, and I'm feeling a lot better.