Charity moving out over costs
HIGH rental costs and increased parking charges have led to the charity Home-Start deciding to move out of Royston. Home-Start Royston and South Cambridgeshire, a charity which provides support for young families, has been based at the Royston Health C
HIGH rental costs and increased parking charges have led to the charity Home-Start deciding to move out of Royston.
Home-Start Royston and South Cambridgeshire, a charity which provides support for young families, has been based at the Royston Health Centre since it was set up more than 25 years ago.
It is now moving to larger premises at Valley Farm in Meldreth.
Town councillor Lindsay Davidson, a former chairman of Royston Home-Start, said: "This is just another sad example of organisations, businesses, and charities being forced out of our town.
You may also want to watch:
"I know it would have liked to stay in Royston, but it was unable to find any premises that were within its budget, as rents in Royston are so high these days."
Cllr Davidson added that increased parking charges had also been a "deciding factor" in the move, as they have greatly increased the charities staffing and administration costs.
- 1 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 2 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 3 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 4 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 5 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 6 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 7 Young Crows net funding for club improvements
- 8 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
- 9 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 10 Socially-distanced festival is a welcome return to pre-pandemic good times
A spokesman for Home-Start said: "We just needed somewhere larger really. Unfortunately there wasn't anywhere in Royston which we could afford.
"But it's only our address that is changing - we are not saying goodbye to Royston as our move will not affect the support we offer to families in Royston and south Cambridgeshire.