Charity moving out over costs
HIGH rental costs and increased parking charges have led to the charity Home-Start deciding to move out of Royston. Home-Start Royston and South Cambridgeshire, a charity which provides support for young families, has been based at the Royston Health C
HIGH rental costs and increased parking charges have led to the charity Home-Start deciding to move out of Royston.
Home-Start Royston and South Cambridgeshire, a charity which provides support for young families, has been based at the Royston Health Centre since it was set up more than 25 years ago.
It is now moving to larger premises at Valley Farm in Meldreth.
Town councillor Lindsay Davidson, a former chairman of Royston Home-Start, said: "This is just another sad example of organisations, businesses, and charities being forced out of our town.
You may also want to watch:
"I know it would have liked to stay in Royston, but it was unable to find any premises that were within its budget, as rents in Royston are so high these days."
Cllr Davidson added that increased parking charges had also been a "deciding factor" in the move, as they have greatly increased the charities staffing and administration costs.
- 1 Barley Flower Tower to be cut into pieces!
- 2 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 3 New app allows passengers to order bus to virtual stops
- 4 14 Spitfires to take to the skies at IWM Duxford's 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 6 Teacher raises more than £3,000 with charity run in mother's memory
- 7 Camera to be installed in village to address long-standing speeding woes
- 8 Wellbeing gardens opened at Lister in memory of much-loved colleague Marilyn
- 9 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 10 Get set for Strawberries & Creem Festival in the Cambridgeshire countryside
A spokesman for Home-Start said: "We just needed somewhere larger really. Unfortunately there wasn't anywhere in Royston which we could afford.
"But it's only our address that is changing - we are not saying goodbye to Royston as our move will not affect the support we offer to families in Royston and south Cambridgeshire.