A TASTER evening at the White Bear pub in Royston has raised £250 for the mayor s charity. The event took place in January, and saw 32 guests sample a selection of food and wine. This week, owner of the White Bear, Shirley Smeeton, presented the Mayor of
A TASTER evening at the White Bear pub in Royston has raised £250 for the mayor's charity.
The event took place in January, and saw 32 guests sample a selection of food and wine.
This week, owner of the White Bear, Shirley Smeeton, presented the Mayor of Royston, Cllr Peter Lill, with a cheque for £250.
Mrs Smeeton, said: "We gave the guests a taster of different dishes, and types of wine. Then they had to choose six for our new menu and wine list.
"Everyone went home well fed, and made generous donations to the mayor's charity fund."
Cllr Lill said: "It was an excellent evening and I am very grateful to everyone who was involved in the organisation."
- 1 Royston judoka Reid relishing Commonwealth Games chance
- 2 Herts sex offender assaulted victim while she slept
- 3 Bassingbourn Village College students win Pitch for the Prize competition
- 4 Tractors take to the streets to raise money for hospital
- 5 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 6 What to see in the sky in July: Year's biggest supermoon and meteor showers
- 7 'Hooded thieves' stole three vehicles
- 8 Royston Museum finally reopens following two-year closure
- 9 Royston Town Council declares climate emergency
- 10 Census data reveals Hertfordshire population boom over last decade
This year, money raised for the Mayor's charity fund is being split between the Royston Stroke Club and Lewin Rehabilitation Unit at Addenbrooke's hospital.
* Cllr Lill will be leading the Royston civic service at Royston Parish Church on Sunday at 3pm.
The service will be conducted by the vicar of Royston, the Rev Leslie Harman.