Charity calendar for hurricane victims
ONE of Royston’s more exhibited residents is raising money for a charity close to her heart by posing for a calendar.
Laura Williams, who was born in St Lucia, has undergone a photo-shoot and will donate money raised from sales to the relief fund for the hurricane which devastated her nation of birth in November.
Mrs Williams said: “The hurricane destroyed the nation and left a lot of people dead or homeless. It requires a five billion Eastern Caribbean Dollar revamp, and I want to do my bit to help.”
Hurricane Tomas killed 14 people when it struck on November 2 this year, and much of the island, including Mrs Williams’ apartment, was damaged.
“My apartment was damaged by water, but luckily my family were okay,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“I have a boutique that sells English clothes in St Lucia too, and that was fortunately not damaged.”
Mrs Williams was full of praise for Colin Clarke, a Royston-based photographer who took the snaps.
- 1 Pupils celebrate all things Roald Dahl with 'Whoopsy Whiffling' day
- 2 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 3 Nail bars and car washes targeted in modern day slavery checks
- 4 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 5 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 6 Suspected arsonist held after health centre fire
- 7 Constituency boundary review - have you had your say?
- 8 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 9 Royston Museum finally set to reopen to families
- 10 Where to get a walk-in Covid-19 vaccine in Cambridgeshire this weekend
“Colin was very happy to do this, and he also waved any money. I am delighted he was able to help out such a great cause,” she said.
The calendar will be available from Colin Clarke’s shop in Royston High Street from next week, at a price of �7.
This is not the first time Mrs Williams has made a charity calendar, as in 2009 she modelled to raise money for a St Lucian children’s home.
She can be followed on Twitter at www.twitter.com/lawrawilliams.