Charity box thieves strike again
THIEVES have targeted two more charity boxes at two local businesses. They stole several money boxes, including a Poppy Appeal box, in a raid on Hill View Farm shop near Bassingbourn. Two boxes were also taken from Cam Valley Orchards, near Meldreth. Last
THIEVES have targeted two more charity boxes at two local businesses.
They stole several money boxes, including a Poppy Appeal box, in a raid on Hill View Farm shop near Bassingbourn.
Two boxes were also taken from Cam Valley Orchards, near Meldreth.
Last week The Crow reported that a Remembrance Day collection box, and other items, were stolen from Huffer's Farm Shop in Steeple Morden.
Brenda Standen, owner of Hill View Farm, said: "These people really are the lowest of the low.
"I don't know how much cash there was in there, but I'd seen a few £10 notes go into the Poppy Appeal box, so it would have been a fair bit.
- 1 Former company boss fined after illegal waste dumped at quarry
- 2 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 3 Wanted burglar caught in Grafton Centre with 'hoard of stolen goods'
- 4 Teen attacked couple with glasses at Royston pub
- 5 IN PICTURES: Wills and Kate visit Cambridgeshire's first County Day
- 6 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
- 7 Pictures of Duxford Summer Air Show 2022 at IWM Duxford
- 8 Herts police officers shared rape 'jokes' and bestiality porn on WhatsApp
- 9 Bringing sunshine to our NHS - charity launches match funding to double money
- 10 A505 long delays between Royston and M11 motorway at Duxford
"I've ended up giving a donation to the British Legion, and to one of the cancer charities, because I felt so bad that they wouldn't be getting their money."
Patrick Parkinson, chairman of the Melbourn and Meldreth branch of the Royal British Legion, said: "The evidence of the low lives that fester deep within our society has once again come to the fore.
"Brenda Standen is a loyal and keen supporter of the Poppy Appeal who was, needless to say, very upset by this heartless theft."
Raiders also struck at Cam Valley Orchards, in Meldreth, taking money from two collection boxes.
Owner Nicky Elbourn said: "They smashed the boxes and took the money.
"Presumably they think it's a good week because of all the poppy collections."
Anyone with information on any of these incidents should contact Cambridgeshire Police on 0845 456 4564, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.