Celebration time for diamond couple
A COUPLE who have been married for 60 years say they are as happy now as the day they wed. Ron and Lily Smith, of Mill Road, Royston, have celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary. The couple met in Queens Road when Lily, from Melbourn, came shopping
A COUPLE who have been married for 60 years say they are as happy now as the day they wed.
Ron and Lily Smith, of Mill Road, Royston, have celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary.
The couple met in Queens Road when Lily, from Melbourn, came shopping in the town.
Ron, 88, said: "I was going to catch a train to Wembley to watch England and Russia.
You may also want to watch:
"I said 'I can't stop now', and we said we would see each other another day."
Ron, an ex-prisoner of war in Japan, was demobbed shortly after he met Lily, and they married three years later at the Congregational church in Kneesworth Street.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Lidl targets new Hertfordshire store locations
- 4 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 5 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 6 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 7 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 8 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 9 Broadband speeds 15x faster than average set to arrive thanks to major investment
- 10 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
The couple had two daughters and now have four grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.
Ron worked for the Ministry of Transport for many years, and now enjoys working on his allotment.
Lily, 89, said: "We used to love to go tea dancing.
"And I loved gardening and flowers."
The couple were taken out for lunch by their daughter Beryl and her husband on their anniversary, and then enjoyed a family party on Saturday.
"It was a lovely day, we are a very close family," said Lily.
Ron and Lily have a few ideas on the secret to a long and happy marriage.
"Have a row every day, first thing in the morning, then your ok for the rest of the day!" says Ron.
"It's about give and take, and we used to enjoy doing things together.