Celebration for diamond couple
A COUPLE from Ashwell have received a card from The Queen on their diamond wedding anniversary. Raymond and Angela Munday, of High Street, celebrated 60 years of marriage with a family party and a blessing at Ashwell Church. They met in London after Raymo
A COUPLE from Ashwell have received a card from The Queen on their diamond wedding anniversary.
Raymond and Angela Munday, of High Street, celebrated 60 years of marriage with a family party and a blessing at Ashwell Church.
They met in London after Raymond was posted to Royal Woolwich Arsenal, and started dating in 1941 before marrying in Elton, Kent, at the end of the Second World War.
Raymond, 85, said: "We have had a happy marriage. I would definitely recommend it."
After the war, Raymond, who is an engineer, worked at the Bristol Aeroplane Company and was the project manager for an aircraft weapons system before pioneering satellite systems.
As a result Debrett's People of Today, a publication about famous people, has planted a tree dedicated to Raymond for his activities in space technology.
- 1 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 2 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 3 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 4 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 5 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 6 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 7 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 8 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 9 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 10 How are England's Covid restrictions changing after Plan B?
Angela, 84, was a housewife and brought up their three children, Catherine, Rosemary, and David, who is now a professor at King's College, Cambridge.
In 1980 they moved to Ashwell from Somerset so that Raymond could work at space division at BAe in Stevenage, which dealt with communication satellites.
Raymond's work took him around the world and as a result he and Angela are well-travelled and have spent a lot of time in America.