Celebration for diamond couple
A COUPLE from Ashwell have received a card from The Queen on their diamond wedding anniversary. Raymond and Angela Munday, of High Street, celebrated 60 years of marriage with a family party and a blessing at Ashwell Church. They met in London after Raymo
A COUPLE from Ashwell have received a card from The Queen on their diamond wedding anniversary.
Raymond and Angela Munday, of High Street, celebrated 60 years of marriage with a family party and a blessing at Ashwell Church.
They met in London after Raymond was posted to Royal Woolwich Arsenal, and started dating in 1941 before marrying in Elton, Kent, at the end of the Second World War.
Raymond, 85, said: "We have had a happy marriage. I would definitely recommend it."
You may also want to watch:
After the war, Raymond, who is an engineer, worked at the Bristol Aeroplane Company and was the project manager for an aircraft weapons system before pioneering satellite systems.
As a result Debrett's People of Today, a publication about famous people, has planted a tree dedicated to Raymond for his activities in space technology.
- 1 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 2 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 3 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 4 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 5 Stunning snap causes stir online
- 6 Nuthampstead Olympic Shooter takes bronze in Tokyo
- 7 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 8 Huge splash of support for Meldreth diver Dan Goodfellow
- 9 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 10 Roystonian becomes president of American broadband firm
Angela, 84, was a housewife and brought up their three children, Catherine, Rosemary, and David, who is now a professor at King's College, Cambridge.
In 1980 they moved to Ashwell from Somerset so that Raymond could work at space division at BAe in Stevenage, which dealt with communication satellites.
Raymond's work took him around the world and as a result he and Angela are well-travelled and have spent a lot of time in America.