Celebrating 50th anniversary in business
A FAMILY run business in Royston is celebrating half-a-century of service. Cecil Newling funeral directors, of Market Hill, has been in the town for 50 years and is now run by the Lodge Brothers. Manager Nigel Anthony, said: We have no records of the act
A FAMILY run business in Royston is celebrating half-a-century of service.
Cecil Newling funeral directors, of Market Hill, has been in the town for 50 years and is now run by the Lodge Brothers.
Manager Nigel Anthony, said: "We have no records of the actual date that the business was started, but we are planning a number of events to celebrate.
"The business has maintained its success in the town because Cecil Newling was a well respected figure and he gave the best quality of care to the residents of Royton.
"We have tried to continue that service."
The business was founded in 1958 by Cecil Newling, who was a master craftsman and highly skilled in coffin making.
- 1 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 2 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 3 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 4 Meldreth mental health cancer support charity appoints first patron
- 5 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 6 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 7 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 8 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 9 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
- 10 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
Mr Newling retired in 1991, after 33 years, but wanted his business to continue being family owned.
He sold it to the Lodge Brothers, a seventh generation family of funeral directors, who continued to expand the business, and in June 2000 the Green Drift business was moved to Market Hill.
Cecil Newling is now run by six members of the Lodge family, managed by Nigel Anthony and supported by funeral arranger Jessica Kerr.
Owner Andrew Lodge, said: "We are delighted that Cecil Newling has completed 50 years of serving local families with care and compassion."
Cecil Newling funeral directors will be holding an open day for the public in the coming months to help celebrate its anniversary.