Celebrating 50th anniversary in business
A FAMILY run business in Royston is celebrating half-a-century of service. Cecil Newling funeral directors, of Market Hill, has been in the town for 50 years and is now run by the Lodge Brothers. Manager Nigel Anthony, said: We have no records of the act
A FAMILY run business in Royston is celebrating half-a-century of service.
Cecil Newling funeral directors, of Market Hill, has been in the town for 50 years and is now run by the Lodge Brothers.
Manager Nigel Anthony, said: "We have no records of the actual date that the business was started, but we are planning a number of events to celebrate.
"The business has maintained its success in the town because Cecil Newling was a well respected figure and he gave the best quality of care to the residents of Royton.
You may also want to watch:
"We have tried to continue that service."
The business was founded in 1958 by Cecil Newling, who was a master craftsman and highly skilled in coffin making.
- 1 Flasher who attacked officers appears in court
- 2 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 3 Students' work featured in online art exhibition
- 4 Have you seen missing parrot Charlie?
- 5 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 6 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 7 Royal Ascot: ones to watch on final day
- 8 Comedy festival IS going ahead - with Covid-safe measures in place
- 9 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 10 Eight picture-perfect picnic spots across East Anglia
Mr Newling retired in 1991, after 33 years, but wanted his business to continue being family owned.
He sold it to the Lodge Brothers, a seventh generation family of funeral directors, who continued to expand the business, and in June 2000 the Green Drift business was moved to Market Hill.
Cecil Newling is now run by six members of the Lodge family, managed by Nigel Anthony and supported by funeral arranger Jessica Kerr.
Owner Andrew Lodge, said: "We are delighted that Cecil Newling has completed 50 years of serving local families with care and compassion."
Cecil Newling funeral directors will be holding an open day for the public in the coming months to help celebrate its anniversary.