Cancer survivor campaigns to raise awareness
- Credit: Archant
A SURVIVOR of skin cancer is campaigning to raise awareness of the dangers of sun exposure.
Kerri Willmott, 36, from Royston, has started spreading her message through social networking sites such as Twitter and Facebook to tell people about her experience.
Working alongside cancer charity Sckin, she has also filmed a spoof news weather segment, detailing the dangers of UV rays, which she hopes a national TV station will broadcast.
The mother-of-three said: “This is a major issue in our society and I don’t think it receives nearly as much attention as it should. In the same way that smoking was once socially acceptable or even considered cool, tanning and laying in the sun for as long as possible seems to be a priority for a lot of young people.
“I have learned so much from my experience but other people need to know about this. I believe we should have a skin care policy in schools, actively educating our children on the risks of being exposed to the sun for too long.”
You may also want to watch:
The campaign Let’s Get Kerri on Telly appears to be making progress. Her video has reached more than 1,500 views on YouTube in one week and she has been re-tweeted on Twitter by actress and singer Coleen Nolan and Girls Aloud singer Nicola Roberts.
In 2010 there were 12,818 people in the UK diagnosed with malignant melanoma skin cancer. In the same year there were 2,203 as a result of the disease.
- 1 Community rallies together to clean up church after 'mindless' vandalism
- 2 Church foodbank receives donation to help families in need
- 3 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 4 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 5 Magic show set to go Wrong on stage at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 6 Bassingbourn Barracks: New chapter for Army’s flagship operational training centre
- 7 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 8 Nuthampstead Olympic Shooter takes bronze in Tokyo
- 9 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 10 Stunning snap causes stir online
You can find her YouTube video at this address: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPEW2tNozuM
For more information visit www.facebook.com/getkerrionthetelly or follow her on Twitter @Kerriw77