Campaign delivers new post office
MP Andrew Lansley officially opened the new Melbourn post office on Friday. The service at 107 High Street means residents no longer have to travel to nearby villages. The previous post office closed in August 2004 after the resignation of the sub-postmas
MP Andrew Lansley officially opened the new Melbourn post office on Friday.
The service at 107 High Street means residents no longer have to travel to nearby villages.
The previous post office closed in August 2004 after the resignation of the sub-postmaster.
Mr Lansley, MP for South Cambridgeshire, said he was pleased post office services had been restored to Melbourn.
"The post office is a vital part of the community and we have all been working tirelessly to bring about this re-opening," he said.
He wished the new postmistress, Sharanal Malhotra, every success in the venture.
- 1 How to see the last supermoon of the year this weekend
- 2 Everything you need to know about the August train driver strike
- 3 Let's go fly a kite as festival returns after two years
- 4 Where you can see the Perseid meteor shower in Hertfordshire
- 5 MP hosts gathering for Ukrainian refugees
- 6 One of a kind Second World War aircraft to fly in historic flypast at IWM Duxford’s Battle of Britain Air Show 2022
- 7 Firefighters tackle large blaze in field in Guilden Morden
- 8 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 9 Hertfordshire 'extreme heat' amber warning as temperature set to soar
- 10 20 Ukrainian medical students begin placements at Addenbrooke’s
"I know customers are pleased to once again have a convenient and local post office in Melbourn," he added. Mrs Malhotra, praised Mr Lansley, the Post Office and local councils for their support in campaigning for the reinstatement of the post office.
Among those attending the opening were representatives from the Melbourn History Group, Melbourn Toy Library, Melbourn Access Point, Cllr David McCraith of Cambridgeshire County Council, and Cllr Rosemary Gatward, chairman of Melbourn Parish Council.
A Post Office spokesman said: "We are delighted all our hard work has paid off, and we have been able to secure the restoration of convenient local access to post office services in Melbourn."
The post office will be open from 9am-5pm (Monday-Friday), and 9am-12.30pm (Saturday).