Campaign delivers new post office
MP Andrew Lansley officially opened the new Melbourn post office on Friday. The service at 107 High Street means residents no longer have to travel to nearby villages. The previous post office closed in August 2004 after the resignation of the sub-postmas
MP Andrew Lansley officially opened the new Melbourn post office on Friday.
The service at 107 High Street means residents no longer have to travel to nearby villages.
The previous post office closed in August 2004 after the resignation of the sub-postmaster.
Mr Lansley, MP for South Cambridgeshire, said he was pleased post office services had been restored to Melbourn.
You may also want to watch:
"The post office is a vital part of the community and we have all been working tirelessly to bring about this re-opening," he said.
He wished the new postmistress, Sharanal Malhotra, every success in the venture.
- 1 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 2 Freedom Day: More than half of Herts residents welcome delay to lockdown easing
- 3 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 5 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 6 Labour organiser criticises Labour mayor for hiring a Tory as deputy
- 7 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 8 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
- 9 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 10 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
"I know customers are pleased to once again have a convenient and local post office in Melbourn," he added. Mrs Malhotra, praised Mr Lansley, the Post Office and local councils for their support in campaigning for the reinstatement of the post office.
Among those attending the opening were representatives from the Melbourn History Group, Melbourn Toy Library, Melbourn Access Point, Cllr David McCraith of Cambridgeshire County Council, and Cllr Rosemary Gatward, chairman of Melbourn Parish Council.
A Post Office spokesman said: "We are delighted all our hard work has paid off, and we have been able to secure the restoration of convenient local access to post office services in Melbourn."
The post office will be open from 9am-5pm (Monday-Friday), and 9am-12.30pm (Saturday).