Campaign delivers new post office
MP Andrew Lansley officially opened the new Melbourn post office on Friday. The service at 107 High Street means residents no longer have to travel to nearby villages. The previous post office closed in August 2004 after the resignation of the sub-postmas
MP Andrew Lansley officially opened the new Melbourn post office on Friday.
The service at 107 High Street means residents no longer have to travel to nearby villages.
The previous post office closed in August 2004 after the resignation of the sub-postmaster.
Mr Lansley, MP for South Cambridgeshire, said he was pleased post office services had been restored to Melbourn.
"The post office is a vital part of the community and we have all been working tirelessly to bring about this re-opening," he said.
He wished the new postmistress, Sharanal Malhotra, every success in the venture.
- 1 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 2 Man sentenced for handling stolen goods - including designer watch, clothes and laptop
- 3 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 4 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 5 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 6 Cyclist in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash
- 7 Bank cards, electrical items and jewellery stolen in burglary
- 8 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 9 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 10 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
"I know customers are pleased to once again have a convenient and local post office in Melbourn," he added. Mrs Malhotra, praised Mr Lansley, the Post Office and local councils for their support in campaigning for the reinstatement of the post office.
Among those attending the opening were representatives from the Melbourn History Group, Melbourn Toy Library, Melbourn Access Point, Cllr David McCraith of Cambridgeshire County Council, and Cllr Rosemary Gatward, chairman of Melbourn Parish Council.
A Post Office spokesman said: "We are delighted all our hard work has paid off, and we have been able to secure the restoration of convenient local access to post office services in Melbourn."
The post office will be open from 9am-5pm (Monday-Friday), and 9am-12.30pm (Saturday).