Cambridgeshire woman fined for fly-tipping
- Credit: Archant
A woman has been fined for fly-tipping after household waste was dumped on a public bridleway.
Jennifer McTaggart, of Bridge Street, Whaddon, near Royston, was ordered to pay £155 after her household rubbish was found on a public bridleway in Offley, Hertfordshire.
McTaggart, pleaded guilty to not taking reasonable steps to prevent her waste from being fly-tipped illegally in April of last year, after sacks of rubbish were disposed of by someone else.
At a hearing at Stevenage Magistrates’ Court last week brought by North Hertfordshire District Council, she was fined £85, and had to pay £50 towards the council’s legal fees and a £20 victim surcharge.
David Scholes, chief executive of the district council, said: “Fly-tipping can be a real problem in our area. It ruins the environment and there are also financial implications for clearing it up which effects the council taxpayer. We encourage residents to make sure that their waste is disposed of appropriately and this includes ensuring any contractors they may use for building works or gardening have a waste carrier’s licence.
You may also want to watch:
“We hope this prosecution sends a clear message that anyone can be found guilty of fly-tipping if they haven’t taken steps to ensure their waste is properly disposed of, even if they are using someone else to get rid of it for them.”
- 1 Litlington's Josh ploughs into top spot with competition win
- 2 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 3 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 4 Drug dealer caught after being pulled over for using phone on A505
- 5 No Cambridge fireworks display on Midsummer Common this year for Bonfire Night
- 6 History Society unveils new town heritage board
- 7 MPs vote on whether raw sewage should continue to be pumped into waterways
- 8 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!