Cambridgeshire police commissioner recommends council tax freeze on police spending
- Credit: Archant
The police and crime commissioner for Cambridgeshire has proposed a freeze to council tax spending on police services.
Sir Graham Bright said he intends to ‘ensure value for money policing with no extra burden on the council taxpayer’ by freezing tax spending for 2015/2016.
He said: “We recognise the hardships that many of our citizens are facing in these austere times and do not want to add to their burdens.
“My team have worked closely with the constabulary to ensure an effective and efficient force, driving down costs during the year and developing plans to meet future saving requirements. The adoption of new technology and working in collaboration with other forces will continue to deliver further efficiencies moving forward.”
The government has offered a council tax freeze grant of one per cent to policing bodies which freeze the level of council tax.
Sir Graham added: “We are therefore able to balance the books without the need to increase the precept this year. I would like to thank all those who have worked so hard to make this possible.”
The recommendation will go to the Cambridgeshire Police and Crime Panel for approval at their next meeting on January 28.
- 1 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 2 MP visits Royston lab to learn about local success story
- 3 Stevenage's Lister Hospital changes maternity visiting guidance
- 4 Platinum Jubilee: Hertfordshire's royal visits in pictures
- 5 Family of patient who died from drug overdose speak out after inquest
- 6 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 7 Strictly for Charity fundraising event gets people's toes tapping for Home-Start
- 8 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 9 All aboard for Steam at the Hoops festival in Bassingbourn
- 10 Extra trains to Tottenham Hotspur Stadium for Betfred Challenge Cup final
The proposal follows the government’s announcement last month that the 2015/16 policing grant for Cambridgeshire police will be £73.32 million, representing a £4m reduction on the previous year.