Cambridgeshire council invests £7million to kick-start housing scheme
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
A council is investing £7million to provide more affordable housing in South Cambridgeshire.
South Cambridgeshire District Council will use the money to kick-start a property company set up by the district council to help meet the demand for good quality rental properties in the area
The initial investment will see the housing company, registered last year under the name South Cambs Ltd, get off the ground with a pilot scheme and property portfolio of up to 40 homes in the next two years.
Income from the properties will be used to protect council services in the event of more public spending cuts.
Cllr Mark Howell, South Cambridgeshire District Council’s cabinet member for housing, said: “This investment is great news for our residents as the annual income generated will be used to support other services they rely on, and protect us from some of the future cuts in funding by government.
You may also want to watch:
“We have already driven down our costs with efficiency savings in excess of £4 million, and if we can be innovative and generate income it will reduce the need to make cuts we are working hard to avoid wherever possible.
“Councillors have a wealth of knowledge about their area and by setting up an advisory group we will be able to draw on this.”
- 1 5 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 2 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 3 No Time To Die is 'a bloated but entertaining slice of spy action'
- 4 Tributes paid to 'greatly respected' coach operator
- 5 Julian Clary and Matthew Kelly star in 'a theatrical gem' at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 6 Signs on A505 to discourage littering after stretch becomes 'eyesore'
- 7 Guitar once owned by Pink Floyd's Syd Barrett to be sold at Cambridge auction
- 8 Mission Impossible and Top Gun star Tom Cruise spotted flying at Duxford
- 9 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
- 10 Family pay tribute to 'truly special individual' killed in A1307 crash