Call for candidates to stand in election
BUNTINGFORD Town Council is hoping that elections will be taking place this year. In the past eight there have not been enough candidates to run an election and councillors have been co-opted to the town council. Town clerk Jill Jones said: If you want t
BUNTINGFORD Town Council is hoping that elections will be taking place this year.
In the past eight there have not been enough candidates to run an election and councillors have been co-opted to the town council.
Town clerk Jill Jones said: "If you want the town to be a true democracy, we must have a contested election."
In the latest edition of the town council's newsletter she said that town councillors play a "vital role" in the community.
You may also want to watch:
"The town council needs a range of skills to work as a team," she said.
"A town councillors task is to bring local issues to the attention of the council and help it make decisions on behalf of the community," she added.
- 1 A505 campaigner on safety improvement progress and wrong-way driver near-miss
- 2 Kite Festival cancelled after lockdown extension
- 3 Grandmother runs Royston in Blue 5k solo to raise money for charity
- 4 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 5 What is happening in our area for Armed Forces Day?
- 6 Limes Communal Rooms to become Bassingbourn's village hall
- 7 Man jailed after attacking victim with glass bottle in hotel room
- 8 Nurses to meet with unvaccinated social care workers to address concerns
- 9 Uber-style app could mean doorstep bus pick up
- 10 Network Rail seeks green light for Cambridge South station
Elections for the 12-strong town council will be taking place on Thursday, May 3.
Deputy town clerk, Eddie Plume said: "It will give residents the opportunity to represent the interests of the people of Buntingford and to influence the decisions of the council on behalf of the residents."
To stand as a candidate you must be over 21 years, on the electoral register and have worked or resided in the town for at least the past 12 months.
Forms will be available from the Manor House and East Herts District Council.
- For more information visit the electoral commission website at: www.electoralcommission.gov.uk or call the town clerk at the Manor House on 01763 272222.
The next elections will not be held until 2011
- Notice of election: March 27
- Close of nominations: April 4
- Publication of statement as to persons nominated: April 10