Cadets return from Germany training camp
TWO young air cadets based at Bassingbourn Barracks have returned from an overseas training camp.
Cadet Corporal Sergeant Matthew Sibley and Cadet Emily Drew attended The United State Air Force (USAF) base in Ramstein, Germany, where they received demonstrations on army transport, used specialist weapons and were given driving lessons in army vehicles such as Humvees.
Cadet Emily Drew said: “I really loved the camp at Ramstein, it was an unforgettable week.
“It interesting to experience how the USAF did things and to see the differences and similarities of themselves and the RAF.
“I particularly enjoyed looking around some of the aircraft such as the C-130 Hercules and the F – 16 Fighting Falcon.
You may also want to watch:
“Out of all the amazing activities, I enjoyed driving the American Humvee the most. It was certainly a rare and interesting first driving experience.”
Other activities undertaken by the pair included a close up view of bomb disposal equipment, archery, leadership training, high ropes course, fitness training and cultural visits to nearby towns.
- 1 New headteacher appointed for King James Academy Royston
- 2 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 3 Second Gladman planning application for fields near Therfield Heath rejected
- 4 Boy George and Culture Club announce Audley End concert
- 5 'It's such a relief' - Shops, pubs and more reopen as lockdown eases
- 6 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 7 Have your say on Barkway Road development proposal
- 8 Consultation on East West Rail route opens
- 9 Arrest made after woman verbally abused in alleyway
- 10 'We have a huge task on our hands, but The Pheasant will fly again'
Cadet Sergeant Matthew Sibley added “I had the best time ever when I visited Ramstien and I lots of things that I never imagined myself doing.”
Cadets Sibley and Drew are members of the 2484 Bassingbourn Squadron, which is open to men and women aged between 13 and 17. They meet on Mondays and Wednesday evenings between 6.45pm and 9.45pm.
For more information call them 01763 249156 or visit www.2484aircadets.co.uk.