Brewery insist village pub will reopen
A BREWERY has moved to reassure villagers that one of their local pubs will reopen as planned, once they have found a new manager.
The Queen’s Head, in Long Lane, Fowlmere, closed on August 13 for refurbishment. The work was expected to begin the following week, but nearly two months later the doors remain locked.
Greene King, which owns the listed building, told the Crow the closure remains a temporary one, and that they expect the pub to be open for business again in a few weeks’ time.
Cllr Deborah Roberts, chair of Fowlmere Parish Council and the village’s district councillor, said: “We were looking forward to it re-opening because it could be quite a social hub for the village.”
“It’s very much what you would call an old-fashioned public house, somewhere you could for a pint and a chat, and the thought of it being refurbished and getting a new lease of life was a very encouraging one.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Roberts said the parish council had written to Greene King requesting that they be informed when the work is going to start.
“We’ve expressed our concerns because it seems to be taking a long while,” she said. “They have planning permission for most of the changes they want to make, and we understood that they would be starting the refurbishment of the parts they have permission to change. But several weeks have gone by and there’s been no sign of activity.
- 1 Hotel on Duxford IWM site given go-ahead after council re-vote
- 2 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 3 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 4 Hotel has everything you need for a relaxing staycation
- 5 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 6 Ski trip interest 'peaks' at Melbourn Village College
- 7 7 things to do, places to go and gift experiences for dad this Father's Day
- 8 Royston arson: Police renew appeal after flats fire
- 9 PM set to announce postponement of lockdown easing today
- 10 Magpas chief executive 'surprised and honoured' by MBE
“Greene King did reply to our letter but their response was very carefully worded and they didn’t give us the information we requested.”
A spokesman for Greene King said: “We’d like to reassure customers that the Queen’s Head is only closed temporarily. The licensee at the pub will be leaving the business shortly and in the meantime we are working hard to recruit a new tenant.
“Once on board the pub will re-open, which should be in the next few weeks. We’d like to apologise for any inconvenience caused during this period of change.”