BREAKING NEWS: Royston Hospital to close within a fortnight
AN emergency closure will see Royston Hospital shut its doors to in-patients within a fortnight.
Hertfordshire Community NHS Trust announced the move today (Thursday) as it could not maintain staffing levels at the London Road site.
Julie Hoare, the Trust’s Director of Operations said: “It has become increasingly difficult to maintain staffing levels at the hospital due to the uncertainty over its future. The hospital has been earmarked for closure in June and some staff have left us in recent months or have sought posts in other parts of our Trust.
“The imminent permanent closure of the hospital has meant that we have been unable to fill vacancies at the hospital and it has become difficult for the remaining staff to take on existing workloads.
“It will get to the stage where there are risks to the quality of treatment and levels of safety offered to patients at the hospital whilst under our care.
You may also want to watch:
“This is unacceptable, so we have taken the decision to relocate the inpatient beds. We have informed NHS Hertfordshire (the PCT) of our decision.
“Presently we have only nine patients at Royston Hospital and we are expecting that their treatment will have been completed and they will all be able to go home, by April 17. Outpatient clinics and community services will continue at Royston as normal.
- 1 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 2 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
- 3 'Outstanding' Royston police officer wins Chief Constable's award
- 4 College chapel goes green to raise awareness of rare condition
- 5 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
- 7 'We were lied to' - Residents' dismay as development prompts privacy concerns
- 8 Cambs police crack down on county lines drugs offences
- 9 Review: Groan Ups is 'like a student sketch show stretched out over two hours'
- 10 Fundraising walk for Citizens Advice 'a resounding success'
“We have been in regular communication with our staff, and will be continuing to support them. I would like to thank all the staff for their continued commitment to deliver an excellent service for patients at Royston hospital, especially when the future has been so uncertain.”