Body of missing academic found
Dr Rex Walford went missing after a boat capsized on January 2 in Shepperton, Surrey, although four people survived the search was called off for the Cambridge Don on January 10.
The hearing, opened last week, confirmed that the recovered corpse was Dr Walford and that he drowned to death.
A Surrey Police Spokesman said: “The post-mortem for Dr Rex Walford, 70, was carried out at St Peter’s Hospital in Chertsey on Tuesday February 1 where the cause of death was established as drowning.
“An inquest has been opened and adjourned.”
A memorial service has been scheduled for February 16, at Ely Cathedral.
You may also want to watch:
Dr Walford was the head of education at Cambridge University in the 90s, a president of the Geographical Association, vice-president of the Royal Geographical Society and member of Royston Corvus Amateur Drama Society
- 1 New boxing and Muay Thai classes aim to help boost post-lockdown mood
- 2 8 countries added to UK green travel list
- 3 No business like shire business for Cambridge college
- 4 Herts Council has 'pattern of mishandling children's services complaints'
- 5 Royston chairman: RNLI volunteers never question or criticise - they save lives
- 6 New president takes over at Rotary Club
- 7 Community rallies together to clean up church after 'mindless' vandalism
- 8 Submissions open for Hertfordshire charity photography exhibition
- 9 New care home for Royston unanimously approved
- 10 Teens aged 16-17 years old will be allowed vaccine before new school term