Body of missing academic found
Dr Rex Walford went missing after a boat capsized on January 2 in Shepperton, Surrey, although four people survived the search was called off for the Cambridge Don on January 10.
The hearing, opened last week, confirmed that the recovered corpse was Dr Walford and that he drowned to death.
A Surrey Police Spokesman said: “The post-mortem for Dr Rex Walford, 70, was carried out at St Peter’s Hospital in Chertsey on Tuesday February 1 where the cause of death was established as drowning.
“An inquest has been opened and adjourned.”
A memorial service has been scheduled for February 16, at Ely Cathedral.
You may also want to watch:
Dr Walford was the head of education at Cambridge University in the 90s, a president of the Geographical Association, vice-president of the Royal Geographical Society and member of Royston Corvus Amateur Drama Society
- 1 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 2 Jail for thief who stole scrap metal worth hundreds
- 3 New headteacher appointed for King James Academy Royston
- 4 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 5 Arrest made after woman verbally abused in alleyway
- 6 Have your say on Barkway Road development proposal
- 7 'Community campaigns are making an impact, so have your say on rail link'
- 8 Man who climbed on Tesco freezer jailed for string of offences
- 9 Consultation on East West Rail route opens
- 10 Three household waste collection crews suspended