Body of missing academic found
Dr Rex Walford went missing after a boat capsized on January 2 in Shepperton, Surrey, although four people survived the search was called off for the Cambridge Don on January 10.
The hearing, opened last week, confirmed that the recovered corpse was Dr Walford and that he drowned to death.
A Surrey Police Spokesman said: “The post-mortem for Dr Rex Walford, 70, was carried out at St Peter’s Hospital in Chertsey on Tuesday February 1 where the cause of death was established as drowning.
“An inquest has been opened and adjourned.”
A memorial service has been scheduled for February 16, at Ely Cathedral.
Dr Walford was the head of education at Cambridge University in the 90s, a president of the Geographical Association, vice-president of the Royal Geographical Society and member of Royston Corvus Amateur Drama Society
- 1 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 2 Entrepreneur shortlisted for award after setting up business while managing chronic illness
- 3 Christmas at Wimpole illuminated trail sparks into life as countdown begins
- 4 Motorist charged with careless driving after motorcyclist injured in crash
- 5 E-fit image of indecent exposure suspect released by police
- 6 Concerns raised as Royston patients travel for booster jabs
- 7 Metal detectorist, 13, explains how she discovered Bronze Age hoards near Royston
- 8 Churches thank women who took on extra work to help run parish
- 9 Scouts stay true to the letter as Royston tradition returns
- 10 'It was great to see the whole town get in the spirit of Christmas'