Bloom baskets to cost £8,000
HANGING baskets in Royston will this year cost £8,000. The go-ahead to spend the money came from members of North Herts District Council s Royston area committee. But Cllr Tony Hunter said it was a great deal of money . He pointed out, however, that the
HANGING baskets in Royston will this year cost £8,000.
The go-ahead to spend the money came from members of North Herts District Council's Royston area committee.
But Cllr Tony Hunter said it was "a great deal of money".
He pointed out, however, that the cost was mostly towards the maintenance of the hanging baskets which are erected in the High Street and other prominent locations.
The displays are seen, too, as part of Royston's bid in the Anglia in Bloom competition.
Cllr Robert Inwood said: "It seems a lot of money when we are having to make other cut-backs.
- 1 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 2 Ian Stewart murder trial: Diane 'suffered lack of oxygen for up to an hour'
- 3 Hundreds in Herts fined for breaking lockdown rules
- 4 Meldreth mental health cancer support charity appoints first patron
- 5 Stewart 'wasn't distressed and calmly answered questions' at scene of wife's death, paramedic tells court
- 6 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 7 Hero dog sniffs out cash for charity with golf ball mission
- 8 Murder trial told Ian Stewart was 'so cross' after sister-in-law called coroner
- 9 Ian Stewart's sons say 'devastated father was in tears at wife's death'
- 10 Revealed: Hertfordshire's most desirable villages
But committee chairman Cllr Fiona Hill said he could not support "taking something away from the town".