Blaze-hit Scout hut to be demolished
THE OWNERS of Melbourn Scout hut hope to begin demolition of the derelict building which was was hit by fire on Saturday night. Two fire crews attended the blaze, which started inside the building at 7pm on Saturday. Cllr Janice Guest told Monday s meeti
THE OWNERS of Melbourn Scout hut hope to begin demolition of the derelict building which was was hit by fire on Saturday night.
Two fire crews attended the blaze, which started inside the building at 7pm on Saturday.
Cllr Janice Guest told Monday's meeting of Melbourn Parish Council: "The fire was in the corner of the building. Smoke was coming out through the roof."
The hut is owned by Melbourn Safer Initiative, which had hoped to set up a cyber café for the village's young people. However, equipment bought for the café was vandalised and the scout hut had been empty ever since.
You may also want to watch:
Val Trueman, of Melbourn Safer Initiative, said: "The building will be demolished, and I'm currently talking to some builders about when we can get this done. We may need to have an asbestos survey carried out first.
"It is a real shame what has happened to the building. People paid for equipment because the young people told us the café was what they wanted."
- 1 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 2 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 3 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 4 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Agricultural expert 'over the moon' with MBE
- 6 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 7 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
- 8 Village leader awarded BEM for community centre build and more
- 9 Motorhome and car involved in A505 crash
- 10 Could you help preserve ponds in Reed?
Mrs Trueman said there were no plans to redevelop the site.
"We're not really inclined to build something else if it is going to be vandalised again," she said.
Parish councillers have voiced concerns about the hut. Cllr Donald Mowatt told Monday's meeting: "The worry is that another fire might start, and someone could get trapped."
However, Cllr Colin Charter said: "There is not much we can do about this.
"We are not the owners and it is up to them to do something about the Scout hut.