Bishop blesses bell
A BISHOP has given a school s restored bell a ringing endorsement. The Bishop of Hertford, Rev Christopher Foster, visited Barley School last week to bless the bell, which hangs above the Victorian school building. He also rang the bell for the first time
A BISHOP has given a school's restored bell a ringing endorsement.
The Bishop of Hertford, Rev Christopher Foster, visited Barley School last week to bless the bell, which hangs above the Victorian school building.
He also rang the bell for the first time in many years.
A school spokesman said: "During the recent building works on the original building the school bell has been re-hung and a bell rope installed.
You may also want to watch:
"The bell rope hangs down inside the building into Class 3's room, which was the original Victorian school classroom.
"The bell hasn't been rung for many years and the school is talking to older village residents to try and establish just how long it has been silent," she said.
- 1 Heath threatened with 'eyesore' borehole kiosks
- 2 CCTV appeal after vehicles interfered with in Royston
- 3 King James Academy to continue as school sport hub for north east Hertfordshire
- 4 What's next for Thakeham development after Local Plan sites revealed?
- 5 Royston man to stand trial for permitting production of cannabis
- 6 Street singers lift people's spirits with town centre flash mob
- 7 Busy week for Royston firefighting crews as they keep people safe
- 8 University of Hertfordshire paedophile caught with more than 500 child abuse images
- 9 Girl power and horse power prove a winning combination for Meldreth racing driver Lizzy
- 10 Riverdance's 25th anniversary show lifts the roof off Cambridge Corn Exchange
After the blessing ceremony, a celebratory tea was held for past and current pupils, parents, and members of the community.