Bishop blesses bell
A BISHOP has given a school s restored bell a ringing endorsement. The Bishop of Hertford, Rev Christopher Foster, visited Barley School last week to bless the bell, which hangs above the Victorian school building. He also rang the bell for the first time
A BISHOP has given a school's restored bell a ringing endorsement.
The Bishop of Hertford, Rev Christopher Foster, visited Barley School last week to bless the bell, which hangs above the Victorian school building.
He also rang the bell for the first time in many years.
A school spokesman said: "During the recent building works on the original building the school bell has been re-hung and a bell rope installed.
"The bell rope hangs down inside the building into Class 3's room, which was the original Victorian school classroom.
"The bell hasn't been rung for many years and the school is talking to older village residents to try and establish just how long it has been silent," she said.
- 1 Drug dealer jailed after being found with heroin and crack cocaine
- 2 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 3 Goalkeeper with incurable brain tumour overwhelmed by fundraiser response
- 4 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 5 Melbourn Village College ready for Hastings battle in quarter-finals of national cup
- 6 Royston drama group CADS announces winner of 2022 Fred Sillence Award
- 7 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 8 Royston Golf Club donates £1,000 to hospice
- 9 Former nurse at Stevenage's Lister Hospital struck off
- 10 Cambridge Literary Festival is back with first names announced for spring 2022 showpiece
After the blessing ceremony, a celebratory tea was held for past and current pupils, parents, and members of the community.