Birthday party plan bunkered
A WOMAN says she had a 60th birthday to remember for all the wrong reasons thanks to a local golf club. Carol Turner, of Bell Close, Meldreth, booked a party for 120 guests at Malton Golf Club, near Melbourn, in February. However, when she rang the club t
A WOMAN says she had a 60th birthday to remember for all the wrong reasons thanks to a local golf club.
Carol Turner, of Bell Close, Meldreth, booked a party for 120 guests at Malton Golf Club, near Melbourn, in February. However, when she rang the club three weeks before the September 6 event, she was shocked to discover that they had no record of her booking.
Mrs Turner said: "I was horrified when one of their staff told me that she had no booking for me, I couldn't believe it. I had arranged my party with the chef.
"My details were in the diary but had been scribbled out, they didn't think to check."
You may also want to watch:
The club suggested that the party be held in a marquee on the site, said Mrs Turner, and that the course owner would meet the £2,400 cost of hiring this as a gesture of goodwill
"However, when I went in the next week to pay the deposit, I was told the owner had withdrawn that offer as well," she added.
- 1 New bus and cycle shelters to help bring sustainable travel to town
- 2 Yellow weather warning of thunderstorms in Herts
- 3 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Labour organiser criticises Labour mayor for hiring a Tory as deputy
- 5 Royston Kite Festival decision 'under review' as lockdown extended
- 6 MBE is an incredible honour, says Lister nurse Lizzie
- 7 Defibrillators: How you could save a life
- 8 Plenty of Covid vaccines available for over 23s
- 9 Bassingbourn reverse trend of losses at Helions Bumpstead with fine win
- 10 Ex-footballers set for charity match to raise money for hospital cardiology department
"The manager also told me that they could only cater for 60 people, even though they had taken my booking for 120 people. I had friends and relatives coming from all over the country who had booked accommodation.
"I was lucky enough to find an alternative venue at such short notice, but it was no thanks to the golf course."
The Crow attempted to contact Peter Bancroft, manager of Malton Golf Course, on several occasions this week, but so far has been unable to do so.