Bikefest 2014 cancelled due to Hertfordshire firefighting strikes
- Credit: Archant
A motorcycling festival has been cancelled due to strike action from firefighters.
Herts County Council has announced that Bikefest 2014 will not be taking place on August 17.
The decision has been made as a result of 16 strikes organised by the Fire Brigades Union in the week leading up to the planned event, which was due to be held in Stevenage.
FBU walkouts are being held every day from midday to 2pm and 10.59pm to 11.59pm from today until Saturday, August 16, as a dispute with the government over pensions continues.
The county council say the strikes “will cause disruption and place additional strain” on the fire service, and do not believe they can “dedicate the resources needed to prepare for the event”.
You may also want to watch:
Organisers have also not had any guarantee that further strikes will not be planned during Bikefest itself.
Councillor Richard Thake, responsible for community safety at HCC, said: “It’s extremely disappointing that this fabulous event has fallen victim to the national dispute between the government and the Fire Brigades Union.
- 1 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 2 11 questions to decide how Royston you are!
- 3 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 4 Cambridge Film Festival returns for its 40th outing
- 5 'Outstanding' Royston police officer wins Chief Constable's award
- 6 MP survey slams East West Rail for 'lacklustre' consultation
- 7 Royston's George Crotty selected by GB for World Boxing Championships
- 8 Cambs police crack down on county lines drugs offences
- 9 Award-winning jazz singer Clare Teal and her sextet to play concert at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 10 Man arrested on suspicion of drugs offence after two warrants issued
“This kind of community event helps us get crucial safety messages across to a traditionally difficult to reach audience, so it’s a real blow that it won’t be going ahead.
“I know that many people were looking forward to the event, and I’m sorry for any disappointment. I’m hopeful that Bikefest will return in 2015.”
The FBU is yet to comment.