Bike ride raises money for Cambridgeshire charity
- Credit: Archant
FUNDRAISERS are celebrating after a nighttime charity bike ride from London to Cambridge raised over £5,500 for a children’s cancer charity.
Cyclists representing Tom’s Trust, an organisation set up to support children suffering from brain tumours, completed the 100km Moonride from Hackney Marshes through Hertfordshire in the early hours of Saturday, May 11.
Charity co-founder Debs Whitely, of Fowlmere, began the organisation with husband Andrew after their son, Tom, passed away aged nine after being diagnosed with a brain tumour.
Mrs Whiteley said: “I am thrilled we have so many cyclists taking part in this first ever Moonride from London to Cambridge. I have experienced firsthand the benefits of having a psychologist available to develop coping mechanisms and provide long-term support.”
The charity has raised over £150,000 in collaboration with Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge, with the aim of employing a full-time psychologist to support children suffering from cancer and their families.
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile a group of slimmers from Royston raised £100 for Tom’s Trust by losing 17 stone in six weeks.
The members of the Market Hill Slimming World group chose to raise funds for the Trust as part of their annual six-week charity challenge, where they endeavour to lose as much as possible and donate money to a good cause.
- 1 Crews tackle fires in residential street and industrial area
- 2 'We have a huge task on our hands, but The Pheasant will fly again'
- 3 IWM Duxford set to reopen fully and new flying days announced
- 4 CCTV appeal after large amount of criminal damage to secured yard
- 5 Police dog helps track down bike stolen in South Cambs
- 6 Who are our North Herts candidates for Local Elections 2021?
- 7 Second Gladman planning application for fields near Therfield Heath rejected
- 8 New headteacher appointed for King James Academy Royston
- 9 Lorry driver jailed for causing fatal A505 crash
- 10 Melbourn ward by-election 2021: Who are the candidates?
Christine Brown, who runs the group, organised for Maddie Huffer to collect the money on behalf of Tom’s Trust.
She said: “When members started talking about raising money for Tom’s Trust and what we could all achieve together, there really was no stopping us.”