Be on guard against conmen warning
RESIDENTS in South Cambridgeshire are being warned to be on the look out for conmen posing as council inspectors. The fraudsters are pretending to be South Cambridgeshire District Council officers, and working their way around the district asking people f
RESIDENTS in South Cambridgeshire are being warned to be on the look out for conmen posing as council inspectors.
The fraudsters are pretending to be South Cambridgeshire District Council officers, and working their way around the district asking people for cash and encouraging them to disclose personal information.
In the Melbourn and Bassingbourn areas, a driver was pulled over and told to turn around because of a fictitious road closure, while a man litter picking was stopped by two men and asked for personal details, after being told he had been reported to the council for fly tipping.
A third case in this area involved a dog walker who was also asked for personal details. He was told his road would be closing and the council needed to use his garden to store equipment.
You may also want to watch:
Dog walkers were also approached in the Haslingfield and Bar Hill areas.
In these incidents two young men with clip boards tried to falsely fine them �1,000 for dog fouling.
- 1 Pupils celebrate all things Roald Dahl with 'Whoopsy Whiffling' day
- 2 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 3 Nail bars and car washes targeted in modern day slavery checks
- 4 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 5 Kevin’s powerful testimony challenges us to #DoTheRightThing
- 6 Suspected arsonist held after health centre fire
- 7 Constituency boundary review - have you had your say?
- 8 Arrests made in connection with large-scale money laundering operation
- 9 Royston Museum finally set to reopen to families
- 10 Where to get a walk-in Covid-19 vaccine in Cambridgeshire this weekend
Cllr Sue Ellington, South Cambridgeshire District Council portfolio holder for environmental services, said: "We would encourage all residents to take extra care. Always ask for identification and be especially wary if you are asked for money."
The district council says that in each case the conmen have been wearing high visibility yellow jackets and driving an unmarked white van or an unmarked white pick-up truck.
Genuine council officers will always show people their identification, and if anyone is suspicious about the identity of someone claiming to be from the district council they should call the council on 08450 450 500 for confirmation.